Constipation

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Constipation

Postby MrsHedgehog » 12 Jul 2013, 18:56

My LO is 21months old and since we started BLW at 6months has always suffered on and off from quite severe constipation. She is still BFed and nurses several times a day and night. She is not a big eater, will mostly only eat carbs and eats hardly any fruit, veg, meat or dairy. I truly believed that she would eat what she needs but if she is becoming so severely constipated then there is obviously something not quite right with her diet. Most people I speak to say I should stop BF but I'm pretty sure that that's not the cause of her constipation. Has anyone else had experience of this? I just want LO to poop normally!
MrsHedgehog

Re: Constipation

Postby FestiveTidings » 12 Jul 2013, 18:59

How's her liquid intake? Does she drink plenty water?

My lo's diet is also quite carb heavy but he is rarely constipated as he drinks loads of water.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby MrsHedgehog » 12 Jul 2013, 19:21

She doesn't drink a huge amount of water although we're always encouraging her to drink more. I kind of assumed though that since she nurses so frequently she'd be getting enough fluids.
MrsHedgehog

Postby biccytoria » 12 Jul 2013, 19:36

She might be deliberately withholding which causes constipation? What are her poos like when she goes? How does she act, does she want to lie down all the time?
Mum to Aidan, 5th Aug 2007 and Molly, 14th June 2011

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrsbrown/s ... 809350652/
biccytoria

Postby MrsHedgehog » 12 Jul 2013, 19:45

biccytoria wrote:She might be deliberately withholding which causes constipation? What are her poos like when she goes? How does she act, does she want to lie down all the time?

I do think she is deliberately withholding but I'm not sure why. Often when she does go the poo is quite normal, only occassionaly is it really hard. Often it seems like she needs to go and then won't.
MrsHedgehog

Postby biccytoria » 12 Jul 2013, 20:28

I'd try nip it in the bud if it is, chronic withholding is a long term soul destroying issue, we're still struggling at almost six years old. Do some reading up, ERIC is a great resource http://www.eric.org.uk/Constipation/inf ... on_parents

Don't take no for an answer if you go to the GP, come and get support here. Some GPs don't understand it, and don't follow the NICE guidelines, most people find that lactulose doesn't make any difference and Movicol is the medication that most people find works. Don't be scared about medicating, it doesn't enter the blood stream and if it is withholding its highly unlikely you'll be able to get through to the other side without it. The sooner you nip it in the bud the better, it's not necessarily a quick fix though xx
Mum to Aidan, 5th Aug 2007 and Molly, 14th June 2011

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrsbrown/s ... 809350652/
biccytoria

Return to Toddler Led Eating