A few questions...

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

A few questions...

Postby Pommicat » 04 Jul 2013, 07:52

Hello

I posted this in the 'new to baby led weaning' area but I think it should maybe be in this section.

My little girl turned 1 a couple of weeks ago. We did BLW from 6 months. She's eating really well, but eats loads. I know we're supposed to let them dictate how much they have but I'm worried she has too much. Like a large adult portion of porridge with fruit, a normal baby size lunch, a whole banana in the afternoon and then an adult sized tea. She's not fat at all as everything is healthy but I worry her stomach might be getting really big.

Also as she finds it so efficient to eat everything with her hands, we aren't making much progress with cutlery. I keep getting asked by relatives when she will start using it properly. Any tips?

The health visitors keep saying now she's 1 she needs 2 cups of milk a day. I wasn't bothered about this until a week and a half ago when she refused to breast feed, and hasn't done since, despite me offering regularly. I've read it's very rare to self wean before 18 months, but she's really not interested, and also won't drink cows milk, formula, goats milk, fruit smoothie...in fact anything but water. She has milk in her porridge and lots of fresh veggies through the day, plus bits of cheese etc. She also won't have yoghurt or fromage frais. I think she's just not a dairy fan. I resigned to the fact now that she has self weaned, which is a shame as I was happy to keep feeding her as long as she wanted. Should I be worried about her not wanting any form of milk?

Any advice would be welcome
Thanks x
Pommicat

Re: A few questions...

Postby junglewonderland » 04 Jul 2013, 08:13

It sounds like you are doing a great job, and the fact that you are worried means she has a conscientious mum. I think it's great that she is eating heaps. Some kids just have a fast metabolism and it takes a lot of energy to grow! If she is not overweight and you are offering healthy food I wouldnt worry. Same too for the milk. If you are offering her dairy foods, like cheese and milk in her porridge etc she should be ok. You can't force down 500ml of milk every day! Well you can, my older relatives were forced to drink milk at school, but that seems unnecessary. You could experiment with things like ricotta, cottage cheese, milk powder in cooking etc. We eat tinned fish with bones in it for calcium too. Good luck!
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby jvnt » 04 Jul 2013, 08:57

What junglewoman said, the fact that you are worrying means it's probably fine. If they don't drink milk then there are plenty of other sources of calcium and not all of them are dairy. I wouldn't be too worried, it sounds like she's eating well and knows what she wants.

With the amount she's eating again I wouldn't' be to worried, my 17 month old had two weetabix and two bowls of cornflakes for breakfast this morning - more than me, but she's doing more growing and learning and running around than I am so I figure that's ok!
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby Pommicat » 04 Jul 2013, 21:37

Thanks both for your replies, I guess I need to stop fussing and let her get on with it, after all she seems very healthy and happy :D
Pommicat

Postby StJuniper » 04 Jul 2013, 21:55

Especially if she's not getting a lot of calories from milk now, her diet sounds pretty average to me, not too much at all. My son eats about that much; less dinner but he is still having a milk feed every day. He has a lovely round baby belly, of course, but that's like a power pack for future growth spurts, not something to worry over at all.

P wouldn't take cows milk at bedtime until I did a gradual transition mixing it into formula. If you can still express, why not try giving half-and-half in a cup and see how she takes it?
Last edited by StJuniper on 08 Jul 2013, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Pommicat » 07 Jul 2013, 06:46

I did express a few times, because it was becoming a bit painful. She wouldn't drink it so I ended up putting it in her porridge. I think she maybe doesn't like milk at all and has suddenly realised she doesn't have to drink it. She won't drink anything except water. I should probably be pleased as it's healthy :)
Pommicat

Postby Laura Tyewa » 07 Jul 2013, 07:24

L goes through phases of only wanting water and then being happy to drink milk. Keep offering other sources of calcium (like spinach, broccoli, oranges etc.) and you'll be fine. Vitamin D helps calcium absorb calcium, so fish and sunlight are also a good combo.
Mum to L, born Feb 2012.
Laura Tyewa

Postby emzit » 07 Jul 2013, 21:56

Muncher was never a milk fan but recently he has been asking for it. I'm still no so I haven't offered, he's just suddenly decided he wants it. They are so random. :)
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Brigitte » 08 Jul 2013, 02:34

Nothing you have said raises any red flags for me. It sounds like you're a great mom, and really on top of things. Way to go!
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Return to Toddler Led Eating