The "I'm Hungry!" complaint

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

The "I'm Hungry!" complaint

Postby embee » 03 Jul 2013, 15:56

How do you deal with the "I'm hungry!" when they're probably not? Our 3y/o has started using "I'm hungry" when she's bored, or delaying bedtime, or just wants something in particular. She'll say this 10 minutes after a meal, or as she's hearing her bedtime story, or mid morning, etc.

I don't want to stop her from eating if she really IS hungry, but also don't want her eating snacky-food all the time (even if healthy) and then not eating at meals. Her appetite these days seems all over the place too- some days eats a lot, other days just picks at it. (and it's not food preferences, it can be the same meal on different days!)

Anyone else in the same boat? Have any techniques that work for you?
Munchkin - April 2010
Little Miss- November 2012
embee

Re: The "I'm Hungry!" complaint

Postby shye » 03 Jul 2013, 16:13

Since E could say the world "snack", he has apparently not stopped being hungry. I've had to learn to filter it. Sometimes delay works - I'll give you something in ___ minutes - if he really wants it, he'll keep asking, but often he forgets for an hour.

However it's a struggle. If he demands something and I think it's possibly hunger, but I'm not sure I will offer something boring. Butter on toast. A single cracker with peanut butter. An apple. (although he gets excited about apples but I at least feel like it's healthy). The child is never going to fade away, he's built like a brick.

So there is no easy answer. Good luck!
Mummy to E (nov 08) and Birdy (dec 10)
shye

Postby StJuniper » 03 Jul 2013, 16:22

Haha, P can say snack ("na") and to hear him ask you'd think I was starving him. We just have a snack time, and three meals a day, and if he asks for a snack and its not snack time, I tell him not right now.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby babydsmummy » 03 Jul 2013, 16:24

If I doubt he's really hungry, I just offer fruit. If it is only 10min to a meal then I make him wait, but otherwise I can't see any harm. But usually we will be going out soon after so it isn't like he would be doing it every half an hour - he doesn't think to ask for food much when we're out.
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Postby peasmummy » 03 Jul 2013, 16:49

Evil mum that I am, I respond by offering something that is like her to eat but that she normally refuses (eg fruit). If she's really hungry she'll give in and eat an apple or something.
Pea - Sept 2009
One little angel - January 2012 @10wks
Baby Bug - Oct 2012
peasmummy

Postby salj1980 » 03 Jul 2013, 17:03

Yup, I go with the bread stick (or cream cracker) test, no spreads or dips. If he's hungry he'll eat it!
salj1980

Postby mamapup » 03 Jul 2013, 17:28

Us too. The puppy constantly signs 'hungry', it drives me nuts. I don't think he is hungry at all, he just likes knowing he can tell me stuff. Argh. I try to give him 'real food' unless it actually is fair enough that he's hungry.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby MrsDale » 03 Jul 2013, 18:48

Mum used to offer us a piece of bread and butter. I don't remember taking her up on it very often :D
MrsDale

Postby embee » 04 Jul 2013, 18:00

Well, sounds like it's a common issue! I've been trying to stick to the "you need to eat more at meals" and I feel like it might be starting to work. She hasn't been asking as much, and when she does, she just gets a reminder that food will be available soon.
Munchkin - April 2010
Little Miss- November 2012
embee

Postby mamapup » 04 Jul 2013, 18:03

MrsDale wrote:Mum used to offer us a piece of bread and butter. I don't remember taking her up on it very often :D

This is the puppy's dream response!
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Biddy » 05 Jul 2013, 00:11

MamaPup wrote:
MrsDale wrote:Mum used to offer us a piece of bread and butter. I don't remember taking her up on it very often :D

This is the puppy's dream response!

Same here! My two would happily eat bread and butter all day long and nothing else. I tried plain cream crackers and now they get through several a day :?
S - Oct 2009
A - June 2011
Y - Sept 2014
Biddy

Postby ceeLIN » 05 Jul 2013, 09:32

We've been having this problem in the afternoon, she has a bowl of fruit that she has free access to and i've found that she is eating so much between about 3.30 and 5pm that she isn't eating her meal. Part of the problem is that i usually do her meal for about 5pm, but Tree Fu Tom (her favourite Cbeebies programme) is on at 5pm now so she isn't eating until after which is obviously far too late (totally my fault i realise!). My new plan is to serve dinner at about 4pm and see how that goes. I don't want to take the fruit bowl away, i'm happy that she is snacking healthily and it suits me that she can get herself something if i'm busy with the baby, but i'm going to reduce how much is in it and maybe have a few crackers accessible too so that she at least gets more variety.
DD1 aka Baby Cee July 2009
DD2 March 2013
ceeLIN

Return to Toddler Led Eating