Healthy food? AIBU?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Re: Healthy food? AIBU?

Postby RJandA » 01 Jul 2013, 08:08

SharkiesMum wrote:
I looked at the salt when we first bought them and thought "that'll be well within his limit (now that he's one) and he doesn't have any other salt so would be ok as a once a week type thing"

I thought that too when Big A got to 1 - daily allowance of salt goes from 1g to 2g so I can relax.... but then realised that around the same time she moved from breastmilk to mostly cow's milk - can't remember now but think 600ml of cow's milk is about 0.7g of salt - someone correct me if you know the real amount - but anyway, the change in milk used up most of the extra salt allowance. I was assuming that breastmilk is n/a salt, but again, someone correct me if that's not true!
Mum to Big A - (March 2010), Li'l A - (December 2012)
RJandA

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 01 Jul 2013, 08:38

DandelionFrosting wrote:You know, I was actually curious about that too. Especially with all the babies around here being spoon-fed miso soup.

I was thinking about this too. Do Asian babies not eat anything with Soy Sauce in until they're over 1?

I use reduced salt baked beans but I think there is too much unaccounted for salt out there. For example, we buy unsliced bread (when I can't be arsed to bake it!), so it's impossible to work out how much salt they are having per slice. I also don't weigh and calculate the amount of cereals Pickle has as I just feed her handfuls until it gets dumped on the floor!

I find lunch the biggest pain as Munchie only eats a few things so she kind of dictates what we have. DInners are much more home made and therefore controlled. I don't use salt in cooking, occasionally stock and almost no shop bought sauces.

So I think it's a balance. But rather than compare yourselves with what others eat (there are those who go to Macdonalds every day, but that doesn't make it ok for us to go once a week, IYSWIM) decide where your boundaries lie and make a plan to fall within those boundaries. Batch cooking and freezing make it easier to have something good and healthy without the hassle.

Also ensure there is plenty of water available, not just at mealtimes but to "snack" on during the day. One thing my two are really good at is drinking water and it does give me some peace of mind that if they do overdo the salt thing on occasion, their systems are being well flushed!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Spanner » 01 Jul 2013, 08:53

I think this is a tricky one as your DH is being the primary carer so I think to some extent that should give him autonomy about what foor he chooses to give. And really baked beans and fish fingers are not that bad imo, I wouldn't worry about them being eaten once or twice a week myself as long as it wasnt something worse on the other days! I am with you on the dairylea as there is an alternative which is just as convenient and cheaper too. Even so I wouldn't mind the occasional one if they were on offer now and again.

I think agreeing a weekly meal plan is probably he best idea. Can you perhaps agree that on the days where it is something like baked beans for tea breakfast and lunch are lower salt? For example porridge and something homemade.

I get your frustration though. Dh and all his family are quite overweight and I worry a bit about how much dd eats. Dh thinks I am being ridiculous and that she snacks on healthy things like fruit so it is ok. You should see the portion sizes he gives her sometimes at the weekend though. I really have to bite my tongue but don't think I couldnif he was feeding her every day.
DS March 2007
DD1 June 2009
DD2 Feb 2014
Spanner

Postby robyn » 01 Jul 2013, 08:59

I wouldn't have a problem with low salt/sugar beans and decent quality fish fingers once, even twice a week.
I think there is more value in all eating the same thing and setting a precedent that can continue forever than making the baby's food perfect and therefore separate from the adults. We did that for m and she still wants separate food now, g got what we had from the start and is way way easier. So although overall ms diet is possibly healthier, she's a much more awkward eater.
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby jvnt » 01 Jul 2013, 11:37

As he is the main carer then I think he should be the day to day decision maker - I would be incredibly pissed off if dh came home full of criticism for what I had fed to or done with the children. I don't have a problem with some brands of fish fingers and baby dragon would live off baked beans if I let her.

That all being said I do understand where you're coming from, it's a slippery slope and with my dh a lot more puddings and sweets get into their diet if left to him and I do try to walk the line between undermining him and keeping it in check. I'm not sure how I would deal with it if he was responsible for every meal.

It sound a little bit like there's a pride issue here - there's no reason to buy dairlea instead of cream cheese so maybe he's digging his heels in because he feels attacked? Maybe you need to take some time for the two of you and emphasise what he does well, how you're feeling about going to work, the issues with salt and then try to agree some boundaries with food together and then leave him to it for a bit. Sorry, that sounds really patronising, I don't mean it to.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Previous

Return to Toddler Led Eating