the 1 year mark - what happens now?!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

the 1 year mark - what happens now?!

Postby SpanishMonkeyMum » 25 Jun 2013, 13:54

Monkey is 11 months old but it seems like at 1 year all the information stops!
So, magically on her 1st birthday food is no longer fun and she can drink cow's milk and eat salt and . . . .
I'm confused!
At the moment she has about 1 bf and 3 bottles (8oz) a day. 3 meals that she eats as much as she fancies.
Solids I'm genuinely not as worried about, she shares mine and I make her some special bits that she likes and she eats as much as she chooses.
She drinks water from a beaker or sport top bottle (thank goodness cos summers here are HOT) and is trying to use a spoon.

But what happens about the milk? Should she still be on Formula? Is she having too much? I am so confused about what happens "next".

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I'm new and just getting the hang of it all. As she toddles about and behaves like a toddler this felt right.

Thank you!
SAHM to Monkey, Aug 12
Surprised how much fun this kid stuff is!
SpanishMonkeyMum

Re: the 1 year mark - what happens now?!

Postby pirate_han » 25 Jun 2013, 14:07

I swapped to cows milk gradually (1 bottle a day, then 2 etc) after my kid turned 1. I was satisfied she was eating enough, but there's nothing to stop you sticking to formula if you're at all concerned. At 1 she was also on four bottles a day, but I cut her afternoon one (she didn't notice) and I offered her morning milk in a beaker. She still has a bottle at bedtime but that's as much because I like giving it to her and she's still my baby as anything else :p I don't think there's any right or wrong answers, you know your baby and you'll know when she's ready to drop milk feeds.
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby Gizmo » 25 Jun 2013, 14:15

I swapped to cows milk just after they were 1, mine only liked UHT though and wouldn't touch fresh. Now they don't have any because they are just not milk drinkers and prefer water, I did try persevering with it for months but it never got drunk so finally gave up when they were about 17/18 months old I think. I don't think kids over a year or so 'need' milk but if she likes it then carry on. Mine love cheese, yoghurt and have milk in oat fingers so there are other ways ;)
Gizmo

Postby Eriksmom » 25 Jun 2013, 14:45

I've found this at kellymom.com: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting- ... ler-foods/
It's written for breastfed toddlers, but it's still worth reading for ff-ers :) and you don't have to quit formula, but perhaps concider giving it in a cup or sippy cup (better for teeths, i think).
Eriksmom

Postby SpanishMonkeyMum » 26 Jun 2013, 19:44

Thank you!
So as usual am just stressing about something that she will tell me in her own good time. :oops:
Back to lesson number 1 of motherhood (for me anyway) which is trust monkey, she usually knows what she wants. sigh.
Will take big chill pill and follow her lead.
thanks guys.
SAHM to Monkey, Aug 12
Surprised how much fun this kid stuff is!
SpanishMonkeyMum

Postby squirt » 26 Jun 2013, 20:13

they don+t need formula after one, but you can keep breastfeeding for as long as your happy to as it´s such good and complete food.

as for the rest. well, it´s for fun till they´re one and after that...spank them for it? nah, just keep doing what your doing, sounds good to me!
squirt

Return to Toddler Led Eating