How much banana...

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

How much banana...

Postby Kanga » 18 Jun 2013, 11:35

Is too much? Ds is a complete fruit-aholic & at the mo has a banana split over 2 meals or breakfast & a snack. I'm sure with dd someone said banana can constipated them. Any thoughts?! He doesn't like many other snacks apart from fruit & at least bananas are filling but is more than 1 a day too much?

Quite aside from the fact that 1 banana each a day is starting to add up I a lot of bananas a week! ;)
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Re: How much banana...

Postby StJuniper » 18 Jun 2013, 11:41

I believe banana is constipating. I don't usually let P have more than one a day, though he does sometimes ask. We eat a lot of cherries/peaches/plums for our other fruit choices, and I believe I read on here somewhere that stone fruits are the opposite of bananas; certainly P has very loose bowel movements despite his daily banana, and I suspect it is related to the stone fruit.

Are you worried about DS being constipated? That might help you decide if a little more banana is or isn't a good idea...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby meerkatsmum » 18 Jun 2013, 12:03

Our rule is one a day. If we happen to share a smoothie with banana in it, I hunk that's okay. I do worry about constipation because it can be uncomfortable so I just limit it. He's not usually fussed though.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby mamapup » 18 Jun 2013, 12:12

Our rule is also one a day. And actually, even if the puppy asks for a second and I capitulate he rarely wants it. Oh, apart from the day he ate three for supper..
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby Kanga » 18 Jun 2013, 12:35

I'm not worried about constipation at the mo. he eats tonnes of grapes which I think have the opposite effect plus still some breast milk so that helps. Dd never suffered with constipation either but ate so much fruit & veg I assumed that was why!

I'll stick with one a day then, just need to plan properly as often he's had his then I have one for lunch & he hits the roof!! SJ I keep meaning to try cherries with him, he likes pineapple, strawberries, nectarines, pears & loooves grapes so we have other options. Plus he's into dried apricot/apple which will help constipation I suppose!
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Kanga

Postby DandelionFrosting » 18 Jun 2013, 13:33

Saurus ate five yesterday. :oops: I made the mistake of leaving them where he could see them, and he kept begging and trying pathetically to climb up and get them. Hey, it's baby-led, right? :wink: Then again, I'm not at all worried about constipation at the moment; on the contrary, I'd really like to find a way to slow him down to at least 3 times a day instead of 5 or 6. :scream It doesn't seem to be working, though, and I'm beginning to seriously doubt all that stuff about bananas and constipation. Could it be a myth?
Saurus (April 2012) wants to open all the cupboards to see the pipes.
Zilla (December 2013) is unstoppable. And really likes pizza.
Turtle (November 2015) isn't cute yet, but he's working on it.
And Mia and Oreo are my emotional support cats.
DandelionFrosting

Postby jvnt » 18 Jun 2013, 13:39

I don't limit them, they don't seem to cause her problems so I don't mind how many she has.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby Gizmo » 18 Jun 2013, 13:42

I wish mine would only eat one a day! Sometimes they each 3 each in one sitting, and that's just for breakfast. They will often ask for 'marmas' at teatime as well. The fruit shop loves us.

Never had any constipation problems.
Gizmo

Postby Laura Tyewa » 18 Jun 2013, 14:37

Luke regularly has two a day. So far no problems with constipation but each baby's system is different. :)
Mum to L, born Feb 2012.
Laura Tyewa

Postby Lioncub's mama » 18 Jun 2013, 14:42

we don't limit either. he has phases of not being interested at all, and then phases where 2 in one sitting will be quite normal, followed by another later in the day. Constipation has never been a problem here - he's a several poos a day boy! He eats loads of other fruit too though.
Lioncub (P) - August 2011
Baby brother (E) - December 2013
Lioncub's mama

Postby Lily » 18 Jun 2013, 14:50

Gosh, it's never occurred to me to offer a second banana when he's had one already! Feeling like a very mean mama now...
Izbiz, May 2012
Bee, April 2015
Lily

Postby Kanga » 18 Jun 2013, 15:10

I don't have to worry about offering lily, the baby is demanding! ;) Even just now he's had the second half of his banana as a snack & I said did he war more food, meaning something different, and he nearly leapt out of the highchair pointing at the fruitbowl!

Kanga

Postby mamapup » 18 Jun 2013, 17:24

DandelionFrosting wrote:Saurus ate five yesterday. :oops: I made the mistake of leaving them where he could see them, and he kept begging and trying pathetically to climb up and get them. Hey, it's baby-led, right? :wink: Then again, I'm not at all worried about constipation at the moment; on the contrary, I'd really like to find a way to slow him down to at least 3 times a day instead of 5 or 6. :scream It doesn't seem to be working, though, and I'm beginning to seriously doubt all that stuff about bananas and constipation. Could it be a myth?

Yeah this. I think bananas do nothing to a baby's gut. My puppy is a regular five or six a day pooer and right now they are all squidgy and gross. But I'm seriously wondering if sultanas in his porridge are the culprit there.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby SpanishMonkeyMum » 29 Jun 2013, 16:35

someone said that the ripeness of the banana is the key to constipation or not. Green makes them go and ripe gums them up . . . I think it was that way round . . .
SAHM to Monkey, Aug 12
Surprised how much fun this kid stuff is!
SpanishMonkeyMum

Postby Disco » 29 Jun 2013, 18:12

hmmm interesting SMM.

Two a day is usually our limit. Although he seems to have gone off them solely in favour of grapes. He'd eat a punnet in a day easy. All his poos are grapey!
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Return to Toddler Led Eating