Australian fruit

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Australian fruit

Postby Andie123 » 17 Jun 2013, 11:59

Hi All,

In the summer Ziglet ate loads of fruit - nectarines and plums were big favourites along with any stone fruit.

Now that it's winter we're feeling very restricted on the fruit front:
Apples - not fussed, has a nibble then just doesn't bother
Dried apple - tried it last weekend, loved them, VERY sore bottom
Pears - used to LOVE them then completely stopped eating them after a tummy bug. Just looks at them when offered.
Mandarins (and tomatoes) - tried them, seemed to like them but now not too fussed. Think they gave him a sore bottom.
Bananas - sometimes will gobble a whole one, sometimes just a nibble.
Grapes - Enjoys them but I think one can only eat so many grapes...

I'm waiting for strawberries to become a bit more abundant and am hoping he'll like those but am sort of expecting them to trigger eczema.

What do your LOs enjoy in the winter?
Proud Mum of Ziglet May '12
English in Australia
Andie123

Re: Australian fruit

Postby Woodsies » 17 Jun 2013, 12:04

We buy tinned fruit, the ones in juice not syrup.
Mummy to Hannah (November 2005) and Tom (October 2008)
Woodsies

Postby meerkatsmum » 17 Jun 2013, 12:17

....canned peaches

And canned pears (she prefers those over fresh pears because they're so darn hard to open!)

At the moment, M is eating mandarins, oranges (may be with a try, they are different), bananas, grapes occasionally and she always asks for strawberries but at $4.50 a punnet, no thank you. I'm trying to think of what's in our fruit bowl. Honestly, that's it. Do sultanas count?

To be honest with you, I don't think there's much else worth eating at the moment. I don't particularly like out of season fruit. We often do frozen berry and banana smoothies so she gets berries that way.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby Riotproof » 17 Jun 2013, 13:36

Woodsies wrote:We buy tinned fruit, the ones in juice not syrup.

Really?

I buy almost exclusively on price, ATM oranges, kiwi fruit, apples, pears, bananas, sometimes grapes. Pears I need to ripen in the fruit bowl, but everything else is ready to go. For some reason mandarins are a bit expensive and not looking nice at the moment.

Perhaps try nashi pears?

P.S. where are you buying your fruit?
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby junglewonderland » 17 Jun 2013, 13:57

I agree, summer fruit is a lot more exciting, and eaten, than the winter fruit available. Frozen berries are a winner here though. I reckon its a case of, offer what's in season, if they don't eat it they won't starve!
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby LucyL » 17 Jun 2013, 18:22

junglewoman wrote:I agree, summer fruit is a lot more exciting, and eaten, than the winter fruit available. Frozen berries are a winner here though. I reckon its a case of, offer what's in season, if they don't eat it they won't starve!

That's more or less what we do too. We eat LOADS of fruit in summer when everything's cheap as chips, but winter tends to be apples, bananas, pears and mandarin-type things. We have been getting nice pineapples here recently though, and persimmons as well - do you have those there?
Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Postby Woodsies » 17 Jun 2013, 18:42

Yes, tinned fruit. Why the surprise? My kids like peaches, pears and pineapple etc and they're not so readily available in the winter here in the UK and often taste crap if you buy fresh, so we get tinned. Obv apples and bananas we just get fresh.
Mummy to Hannah (November 2005) and Tom (October 2008)
Woodsies

Postby BigFlower » 17 Jun 2013, 19:00

We do tinned fruit too (especially peaches). I like the idea of frozen berries for smoothies too.

I'm planning on going to "pick your own" later in the season in the hope that picking different sorts of fruit and veg encourages her to expand her repertoire.
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby emzit » 17 Jun 2013, 21:22

We get out fruit and veg from a green grocer who does only local and Australian produce so its easy to tell when something is in season. In our fruit bowl at the moment is apple, banana, kiwi, passion fruit, mandarin. We do have tinned fruit too which muncher likes on occasion - he had a massive tantrum the other day when he wanted apricots but I'd run out. I've also got a stash of frozen apricots in the freezer which get stewed for puddings. And frozen berries are huge with muncher at the moment, he eats them on his Weetbix where they soften up a bit as well as just on their own.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby salj1980 » 17 Jun 2013, 21:52

Woodsies wrote:Yes, tinned fruit. Why the surprise? My kids like peaches, pears and pineapple etc and they're not so readily available in the winter here in the UK and often taste crap if you buy fresh, so we get tinned. Obv apples and bananas we just get fresh.

Ditto...
salj1980

Postby Gizmo » 17 Jun 2013, 22:09

salj1980 wrote:
Woodsies wrote:Yes, tinned fruit. Why the surprise? My kids like peaches, pears and pineapple etc and they're not so readily available in the winter here in the UK and often taste crap if you buy fresh, so we get tinned. Obv apples and bananas we just get fresh.

Ditto...

I prefer tinned pineapple to fresh.
Gizmo

Postby Riotproof » 18 Jun 2013, 02:39

Gizmo wrote:
salj1980 wrote:

Ditto...

I prefer tinned pineapple to fresh.

I don't know, it's just seems a bit odd to me. I don't really know anyone who eats it, other than pineapple for hamburgers and things like sweet and sour stirfry. Texturally, I don't really like it, though it's okay for baking. I'd never sit down to a bowl of tinned peaches for example. Even for smoothies, I prefer frozen.

I guess we're probably spoiled, we do have a good range of fruit all year round, especially if you shop outside the supermarkets. I've always been a believer in following the seasons, though I know it would lead to a very limited diet in some places. I was expressing surprise that someone in Australia would, based on the title of the thread.

Meerkatsmum, I think I saw punnets of strawberries at $2.95 in my harrisfarm specials list this week. Do you have one of those?
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby Scozzie » 18 Jun 2013, 04:10

We basically eat with the seasons (both in the UK and in Oz) - which means fruit is a bit more limited in winter but I'm ok with that. The Poppet has developed a penchant for frozen berries (helps with sore teeth, a bit like frozen peas/corn) and otherwise we're on citruses, pome fruit (apples & pears etc), bananas, and whatever random other stuff is good like bizarrely watermelon from Coles this week was great.

We also do eat some dried fruit (apricots are a favourite) but not too much.

RP I'm jealous of your harrisfarm.... one of the downsides to living in a smaller place means we just don't have things like that. However, we have a pick your own strawberry farm just outside town and I can't *wait* for the season to start!!
Mum to the Poppet, born October 2011. A person's a person, no matter how small...
Scozzie

Postby meerkatsmum » 18 Jun 2013, 05:04

Thanks for the tip RP, it doesn't look like we have one close by though.

See I just wouldn't buy watermelon at this time of year no matter how good it looked. I just don't trust that it will taste as good as it looks!

I also eat dried peaches. Meerkat had her first yesterday though. When I eat them, it's more like a snack food. I don't count it as fruit. I actually prefer the texture of canned peaches over fresh. That's the only one though.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby camper » 18 Jun 2013, 07:45

I'm currently trying to work my way through an abundance of citrus! Everyone's trees have gone into overdrive so I've currently got about 5kg of mandarins and a big box of cumquats as well as about 5 large oranges, 6 limes, a bush lemon and a couple of lemonade fruits to work out what to do with! It's great to have so much free food but I really wish I could freeze some for another day.
I guess it depends where in Australia you are as to what fruit is available at the moment. Starfruit, kiwis, custard apples and passion fruit also seem to be in season here. If your LO doesn't seem fussed about raw apple, have you tried frying slices in a little butter with some cinnamon? Or stewed apple or pear? We add grated apple and pear to our porridge.
camper

Next

Return to Toddler Led Eating