BF and working PT

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

BF and working PT

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 15 Jun 2013, 18:29

I have been working weds-fri for about 3 months now and I have spotted a pattern. My left "super producer" boob does not cope well with the 3 days I work. By Thursday it is usually a bit painful and on Fridays it is lumpy and sore and I take ibuprofen to stop it turning into mastitis (which I've never had but have come close a few times). My right boob deals with it fine.

I am fed up of the pain and worry, and on a purely superficial note, would really like to not be noticeably lopsided by the end of the week! I feed on demand when I'm not at work and I offer my right boob first out of habit as in the first few months he was really not taking anything from it if I offered it second.

I have decided to stop feeding him from my left boob between 9am and 5pm even on the days I'm not working. I will see how it goes but if it cuts out the pain then I'll be happy.

Has anyone else had this? In the back of my mind I'm a bit worried it'll cause him to wean, but in reality he is still very keen, and I won't be saying no to a feed I'll just be offering him one boob instead of the other. Thoughts?
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Re: BF and working PT

Postby biccytoria » 15 Jun 2013, 18:47

Sounds like a good plan. We were feeding one sided by the time I went back to work, M's fine with it and we're still going strong after a year back working. I know I work 5 days a week but I've not noticed a problem the days I work
Mum to Aidan, 5th Aug 2007 and Molly, 14th June 2011

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrsbrown/s ... 809350652/
biccytoria

Postby FestiveTidings » 15 Jun 2013, 18:50

I expressed at work until Roo was over a year and I did notice that some days I was fuller than others. I still took my pump in with me and would sometimes take a sneaky "fag break" and pump for a few mins then dump it. Is that feasible for you?

My supply has greatly reduced but it doesn't stop Roo asking for boobies, Ben when there is nothing there really. It's more for comfort now than sustenance.

I'm sure he won't wean because of it.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby SharkiesMum » 16 Jun 2013, 20:18

I think the not feeding on that side from 9-5 is a good idea, as long as it doesn't cause the other side to become the same because you are increasing the demand on that side IYSWIM?

I'm having a different problem as I'm working full time and so Monday and Tuesday I get really engorged at work after the feeding frenzy that is the weekend, but by Wednesday it's improved. But if I express on Monday and Tuesday I feel like I'm making it worse for Wednesday! It's not too bad but if it gets worse I will consider avoiding feeding on the weekends from 8-4. Not saying no as such, but just distracting as much as possible.
A - April 2012
T - May 2014
SharkiesMum

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 17 Jun 2013, 06:44

Thanks all. Nice to have some forum reassurance!

FT, I have been avoiding pumping after a bad experience with TheWriggler and it seems a bit daft to start now! I might try if this doesn't work, although it seems to be working already.

SM, I'm hoping the right boob won't react the same way. It has never felt painful, although it does feel engorged after a day at work. <crosses fingers> I know what you mean about making it worse, I felt like I was feeding like crazy from the left to clear the blockage which meant it produced more...

I didn't feed him from the left between 9 and 5 on Saturday and Sunday and it definitely feels like it has settled down. He is not feeding as much from the right, yesterday he only fed for naps and he was tired so went down quickly. He has been eating like a trooper too, partly because he wants to and partly because we're offering food if he signs "milk" which I think means "feed me" because he'll accept a breadstick if I suggest one.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Fozza » 17 Jun 2013, 14:00

It will be fine until he works it out and asks for the left :)
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 18 Jun 2013, 13:03

Wow. It's like Fozza can see into the future! This morning he asked for the left side. I had tried to fts from the right but he wandered off and came back a few minutes later. The right clearly wasn't doing it for him so I gave him the right. Fingers crossed I haven't undone all my good work!
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 22 Jun 2013, 08:26

An update... My cunning plan seems to have worked! By the end of the day my boobs were still vaguely similar sizes and neither of them hurt. Result!
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby meerkatsmum » 22 Jun 2013, 10:26

Rosie_t_Riveter wrote:SM, I'm hoping the right boob won't react the same way. It has never felt painful, although it does feel engorged after a day at work. <crosses fingers> I know what you mean about making it worse, I felt like I was feeding like crazy from the left to clear the blockage which meant it produced more...

Unfortunately this is just a side effect of clearing blockages and mastitis. It usually, eventually evens itself out. It took my over producing mastitis prone left side MONTHS to sort itself out. My boobs are weird like that though. You have to clear the blockage and the only way to do it is to feed off it. I once asked my LC "but won't that make the over supply problem worse?" And she said yes, but you just have to deal with that later.

I'm glad your plan seems to be working!!
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby Maria1976 » 25 Jun 2013, 10:32

This is so wired! I thought I aws the only one whose left boob overproduced and swelled and whose right side behaved just fine... seems to be more common than I thought! The things you learn... :)
Maria1976

Postby monkeydo » 25 Jun 2013, 11:53

I'm a left-boob overproducer too!

(I have a sneaky feeling it's because when he was a teeny baby, it was easier to feed on the left and type or turn pages with my right hand)
Mum to little man J born February 2012 and little lady R born July 2014
monkeydo

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 25 Jun 2013, 12:12

He he. Maybe we should start a gang?!? I think from a previous thread that most women have a better boob. Something about more tissue?
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Marrow » 26 Jun 2013, 07:33

I'll be a counterweight: my left is pretty useless, but my right does the job. First noted when pumping on day 3, tried and tried to get left to do a bit more - always fed form that side first etc - but to no avail!
Mum to a Courgette (July 2012)
Marrow

Return to Toddler Led Eating