No dinner, just fruit please!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

No dinner, just fruit please!

Postby pirate_han » 20 May 2013, 17:45

Belle has always had fruit after every meal. Sometimes she will decide that she doesn't want more than a bite or two of her dinner, and just wants her fruit (which she loves). I don't have an issue with this, but I would like her to learn the social 'rule' of sitting at the table waiting. Currently if this happens she will hand me her plate, say aa ooh (thank you) and then point furiously at the fruit bowl and fridge, and whinge until I get it for her. At the moment I'm saying 'later' and making her wait for a minute or two. Eventually I'd like her to wait until I've finished my dinner, but I think that's expecting too much at 14mo. Is it?

How would you go about it? Should I just stop making it an issue, pass her the fruit and let her figure out the social side in her own time? :wink:
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Re: No dinner, just fruit please!

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 20 May 2013, 17:58

I think it's a bit early to expect table manners tbh! TheWriggler is 3 and a half and we have been emphasising sitting and waiting for pudding for a few months now. At 14m I wouldn't push it.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby sabrina fair » 20 May 2013, 18:18

WSS^^^ Monkeybaby's just turned two, and it's too much for him to manage. He can probably understand the concept of waiting, but not the actuality IYSWIM! So we'll leave it for the moment, and work on it when he's older.
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby doodlesmummy » 20 May 2013, 18:22

I always used to have 'afters' of fruit and yog lined up so there was no waiting and I could carry on eating at the same time (and I still often do, and my girls are 6 and 8!). At this age they can't understand the concept of waiting, so don't worry about it IMO,
DM
Doodle's Mummy

its not how much you eat...but how you eat it that counts!
doodlesmummy

Postby Humphry » 12 Jun 2013, 06:28

Hi Pirate_han,
It's good that you are concern about your 14 months toddler but don't you think 14 months is too young to handle this! As concern as she is eating is good as you may found lots of moms around you complaining about their kids not eating.
Humphry

Postby Gizmo » 12 Jun 2013, 08:11

I think it's possible from about 18 months. My 2 have to wait sometimes, if DS finishes his dinner but DD is still eating I can't give DS his yoghurt or fruit until she has finished as she would instantly swipe any dinner she had left on the floor, no matter if she was enjoying it, because she wanted the same as her brother. For that reason they have to wait sometimes. I think in the early days when I started getting them to wait (probably 14-15 months) they might not have quite understood it, but consistency has worked and now they definitely do understand at 22 months and it's not a problem.
Gizmo

Return to Toddler Led Eating