no more highchair?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

no more highchair?

Postby mumi » 23 Apr 2013, 23:57

My nearly 17-month old recently started refusing sitting in his highchair and demands to sit on my or my husband's lap. Instead of eating from his plate he prefers to eat from my plate, using my cutlery, leaving me with his spoon and fork. It feels like going back to the beginnings of BLW, when we used to share a plate and my food had to be cold so he cold have some.
He's too small to sit on a proper chair yet, but maybe I should buy a booster seat to see if it solves the problem?
Similar experience anyone?

Re: no more highchair?

Postby 3KiwiChicks » 24 Apr 2013, 00:54

Its just a phase. Dont do away with the highchair just yet... or get something more like this - ... ncept.aspx (if you dont already). That way he can be right up at the table rather than on a tray in the highchair.

:-) It will pass though.
Three little chicks, all BLWed. Two at school and one preschooler. Not around much any more, but think of you all often.

Postby BLTMama » 24 Apr 2013, 01:01

Just to point-counterpoint, there's no harm in trying a booster seat. You'll need one eventually (probably), and they tend to be cheap. We had DD in a booster seat from 13 months since we moved and didn't have any room in our new place for a highchair.

Agree that it is just a phase, though. :)
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥

Postby catkin » 24 Apr 2013, 06:27

We got a hauck step chair (like the tripp trapp but 1/3 the price) at that stage, he was much happier to sit at table when he could climb himself up and down. He's still using it at nearly 4, and will use a proper chair when hamster needs it.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.

Postby mumi » 26 Apr 2013, 01:24

Looks like a booster seat might be the answer as I sat my son in a proper chair at the table tonight (just to see how thick the booster should be) and he looked so proud of himself and didn't want to go down.
So I might have my plate for myself again :-)

Return to Toddler Led Eating