15 month old - how much milk?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

15 month old - how much milk?

Postby Samstheone » 09 Apr 2013, 05:05

Sam is 15 months old. I still bf in the mornings and he has x2 bottles of formula at nursery during the day (210mls each) and another 210mls before bed. I'm scared he may be filling up on milk during the day when he could be eating more. To add, he has a good breakfast, followed by a mid-morning snack and lunch at 12pm. Dinner is at 5pm, when he either devours his food or just has a little and plays (read: throw) with the rest. Does this sound ok or should I decrease his milk intake?

Thanks ladies
Fourth time lucky ... Sam's the one!
Samstheone

Re: 15 month old - how much milk?

Postby Gizmo » 09 Apr 2013, 08:46

At 15 months mine were having about 90mls of cows milk in the evening, rest of the time it was just water. If he is eating well then I would just follow his lead, all kids throw stuff at that age it's perfectly normal and mine still do it sometimes at 19 months.
Gizmo

Postby catkin » 09 Apr 2013, 09:58

Sounds like he's doing great. You could try gradually moving over to cows' milk now he's over 1 - but because formula is faff and expensive not because there's anything wrong with the amount he's eating!
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby pirate_han » 15 Apr 2013, 14:32

Belle is 13mo and she has a bottle of cows milk morning and evening. On the days she's at home I offer milk in a sippy cup before her nap; they also do this at nursery.

Do you think the 5pm thing could be tiredness more than anything else? As we have the same thing, and I am sure she is tired and doesn't want to faff about eating when it's nearly bedtime (at 7pm). Like Sam she eats a good breakfast and lunch but at dinnertime she'll only reliably eat if it's pasta, otherwise she will just play and have a bit of fruit and yoghurt.
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby Kanga » 15 Apr 2013, 15:55

15 months was when I stopped bf dd & she was only having a bedtime feed by that point. She never drank any formula or cows milk. She ate lots of cheese & yoghurt etc so I'm sure if your lo is eating well it will be fine to cut out some milk. Also agree with pirate_han though that the 5pm thing could just be tiredness.
Mummy to 2 gorgeous munchkins who are trying to eat us out of house & home! Dd A born July 08 and ds J born June 12. V3 due October 2014.

Also selling handmade gifts etc at http://www.alittleroar.com
Kanga

Postby Samstheone » 23 Apr 2013, 08:02

thanks ladies. sam seems to have enough 'space' for milk and food, so i'll keep at it for the time being. re: 5pm tiredness, it's hit and miss really - some days are better than others. he has 2 good naps during the day and we wind down at around 6pm with him being in bed by 7pm. i'll play around with timings and see what happens. thanks so much and sorry for the delay in responding!
Fourth time lucky ... Sam's the one!
Samstheone

Postby squirt » 23 Apr 2013, 10:26

there is no need for formula after 12 months, so you can replace those feeds with cow or breastmilk
squirt

Return to Toddler Led Eating