How to encourage a nearly 3yo to try different things

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

How to encourage a nearly 3yo to try different things

Postby Bod » 25 Mar 2013, 18:44

Just that really. Ds will be 3in may - he's never been a poster baby for BLW but didn't want puree either. He eats lots of fruit, rice, bread, chicken (plain or in breadcrumbs), fish fingers, meatballs, sausages, sweetcorn, carrots, yoghurt and breakfast cereal
I would just like him to try the odd thing from time to time. It makes eating out and going on holiday stressful for everyone.
Any thoughts?
Sleep deprived mama to babybod (may 2010)
Bod

Re: How to encourage a nearly 3yo to try different things

Postby BacktoSaz » 25 Mar 2013, 19:26

I think some of it is just an age thing. L was terrible at that age and now (at 5.5) he's really pretty good. He'll give pretty much anything a try. J is 3.5 and less good, but better than he was.

So I would just sit it out...and don't let yourself get stressed. If it were me he would get offered things, but I would try to make sure there was always something on his plate that he would eat. If you're eating out or with friends and there's really nothing then it won't kill him to eat bread or an apple for a meal. But honestly don't let it become a battle....he'll probably just outgrow it.
Mum to L - Nov 07 and J - Aug 09
BacktoSaz

Postby eterna » 25 Mar 2013, 23:06

By three, he should be able to at least start grasping the concept of healthy foods and the different types of food groups. We talk to DD lots about why we eat bread (fuel for our bodies) or meat (protien that helps our muscles get strong) or veggies (lots of vitamins) etc. And we talk about having balanced meals, which means a little bit of everything. Reminding her that different veggies have different vitamins will usually be enough to get her to at least try something, but if she doesn't want more than a nibble then we don't push it.
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby julian » 26 Mar 2013, 14:53

Our three-year old has also become quite picky. Anything new gets an automatic 'No', and many things that aren't new either.
For the moment, we're trying to insist that he has to taste a little bit, but doesn't have to eat any more if he doesn't want to. It's hard going, but hopefully with consistent persistence he will get used to trying.
He used to try everything... I hope he will grow out of it.
Cherub & DragonBoy
Born April 10, February 12
Happy to have chosen BLW
julian

Postby BigFlower » 26 Mar 2013, 20:26

We would ask her to " try " things, a lick was perfectly acceptable. If she didn't want to we didn't push it. She's just over 3 now and pretty good. A "try " is now an actual bite. Hang in there, keep offering, don't stress and don't make it a battle.

Oh and dd has definitely got into the idea of vitamins and what different foods do. There was a really good "Get Well Soon" episode about food and eating lots of different things to help bodies work.
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby jvnt » 26 Mar 2013, 22:40

Two things work for us, if there is something he wants then he has to try everything on his plate. He can say he doesn't want or like something after he's tried it. This has got him eating sweetcorn fritters after many a refusal (baby dragon's favourite otherwise we wouldn't have bothered!).

The other is to just say ok and leave it, sometimes he will try everything on a plate that he has previously refused if we just don't react and leave him to it.

It's a lottery!
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby Bod » 30 Mar 2013, 23:22

Thanks. We have explained that we need to eat lots of different things to keep us strong and healthy so will continue on that theme.
What's "get well soon"?
Sleep deprived mama to babybod (may 2010)
Bod

Postby busmother » 01 Apr 2013, 20:16

Struggling with the exact same thing. We're mostly vegetarian so lots of our meals are lots of things cooked together, like risotto, tortilla, pasta bake etc. They seem to be happy eating individual recognisable things like peas or pasta, but if they see it all cooked together their immediate response is 'I don't like that'. Don't know whether I should just go with it and offer things they're more likely to eat, or just carry on cooking for us and hope they come round eventually.
Mother to twin buses, born 2010, and number 3, born 2015
busmother

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 01 Apr 2013, 21:18

Get Well Soon is a CBeebies show about doctors/staying healthy. You might find it on iplayer?

BM - TheWriggler went through/is still in a "I won't eat mixed up food" phase. He will now eat some of our more regular food "mixed up" but new stuff gets turned down. The way I deal with it depends. If there is an option he will accept, like plain rice at Wagamamas, then we order that and he can have stuff from our plates if he wants. If I'm just cooking for him and TheBean then he gets it served how he likes. If I'm cooking for the family then he gets the same as us and can refuse some/all/none as he wishes. I *think* this method is working and he's gradually trying more and more but it does feel a bit slap dash. But I guess that matches the rest if my parenting. :wink:

The other thing that worked was reading "Green Eggs And Ham" where the guy doesn't like them until he tries it. Sometimes it is quoted to GPs who aren't eating their tea!
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Return to Toddler Led Eating