18 mo demanding one side

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

18 mo demanding one side

Postby meerkatsmum » 23 Mar 2013, 09:23

Why is my toddler demanding she be nursed off a particular side? Tonight it was the left but occasionally it was the right. I've only fed her once today (left) this morning do I wanted to feed her off the right at bed time (now) so that I didn't get engorged. I have a history of matistis and blocked ducts so try to be careful.

The supply is better on the left so if I start on the rigt at bed time, I generally have to give her be second side as well. We nurse to sleep.

Also, I lie down to feed off the left and sit up for the right.

I don't know if either of these things are the reason. I feel like my supply has really dropped and often she is not actually getting milk by the end of the feed which hurts a bit.

When I told her she had to have the right side, she was hysterical, pointing at the left and saying "side". I had to give in. I tried switching her to the right when she was drowsy but she got cranky and started pointing to the left.

Oh wise ones, what do I do?
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Re: 18 mo demanding one side

Postby FestiveTidings » 23 Mar 2013, 19:46

When she's drowsy can you do the "lean in" and offer the right side? This means that only you move and she doesn't?

Sounds like she's worked out which is the better boob? Other than saying 2 mins on right side before left side I'm not sure.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby BacktoSaz » 23 Mar 2013, 20:21

I had one side better than the other, and I gave up nursing on the bad side when J was about 13-14 months. It wasn't worth the stress or the effort of trying to keep it going- of course, I phased out gradually . I didn't end up lopsided.
Mum to L - Nov 07 and J - Aug 09
BacktoSaz

Postby PeaPod » 27 Mar 2013, 21:51

I noticed little P doing this for a week or so recently (he's 17mo) then realised that his first molars were coming through and it was obviously uncomfortable on the side they were coming through on. Once they 'popped through' and the gums were less sensitive (I'm guessing all this) he went back to both sides.
Hope that helps! I know how uncomfortable it is having a full one all the time, I had to hand express for around 4 nights while it lasted.
Proud Mam of wee Pod Oct 2011 and Ro Feb 2014
PeaPod

Postby StJuniper » 27 Mar 2013, 23:38

BacktoSaz wrote:I had one side better than the other, and I gave up nursing on the bad side when J was about 13-14 months. It wasn't worth the stress or the effort of trying to keep it going- of course, I phased out gradually . I didn't end up lopsided.

Sorry to thread-jack but-- you can do this? My right side gives me almost daily pain and has for the last two months. The idea of feeding from my good side only is really appealing...
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby junglewonderland » 31 Mar 2013, 13:47

Could it be ear pain? K does this when he is getting an ear infection.
Mama to Feb boys, Koala (2012) and Taz (2015).
junglewonderland

Postby monster » 01 Apr 2013, 08:30

Skytown Jane - my DS favoured my right side and eventually I stopped offering the left some time around 18mo. He kept feeding just on that side right through and continued when DD was born. I always offered DD both, often giving her the left more to 'even things out', not that there was a noticeable size difference. At this stage, she has also shown a definite preference for the right side, though will still take the left at times.
my lovely little monster - October 2007
a mini monster - August 2010
and a little beasty - June 2013
monster

Return to Toddler Led Eating