Throwing food 14/15 months & cutlery?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Throwing food 14/15 months & cutlery?

Postby Kerryh » 18 Mar 2013, 18:58

Hi all

My son is 14.5 months have been doing BlW since 6 months however he is throwing his food a lot at the moment. He has always done this to some extent but the last few weeks its constantly and I don't know the best approach?

Do I just ignore it and accept its a stage he's going through (he is throwing his toys as well) or do we tell him off? It is making eating out quite difficult.

Also, what does everyone do about cutlery and at what age would they get the hang of using it? We gave him a spoon and help guide him with it but mostly it is eaten with his hands. Even yoghurt he sticks his fingers in then licks them

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Kerry
Kerryh

Re: Throwing food 14/15 months & cutlery?

Postby scotrail » 18 Mar 2013, 19:27

Our daughter, at 2, still prefers fingers for most foods, even though she knows perfectly well how to use cutlery. He'll start using it when he's ready. Just be ready to specifically praise him when he does use a spoon, if that's what you aim for (i.e. "Great job for using your spoon, just like mummy" rather than more generally "that's good")

In terms of throwing of food, kids that young have a reinforcement window of about three seconds (like a dog..). This means that anything "fun" you do within three seconds of him throwing food will encourage it, potentially including telling off! Especially if it looks as if he's looking for your reaction. My main method is to wait 4 seconds, then calmly pick the food up and put it back where it was, without mentioning it, and while keeping up a conversation with my husband :p Granted, she's eaten a lot of dust bunnies by now, but doesn't seem the worse for wear. Throwing food anyhoo seems to come and go, so it's just a phase most likely.
scotrail

Re: Throwing food 14/15 months & cutlery?

Postby Gizmo » 18 Mar 2013, 19:54

I would try a fork and some al dente pasta or veg, it might keep him interested a bit more so he won't throw food so much. At that age I think they found forks easier than spoons tbh.

Is the food throwing constant or could it be that he is full or had enough of whatever food he has? I would ignore it, like st says a lot of it is probably to get a reaction.
Gizmo

Return to Toddler Led Eating