One yr old never been interested in veges, any advice?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

One yr old never been interested in veges, any advice?

Postby Dulcie » 17 Feb 2013, 19:39

I posted this in the Newbies thread but think it actually belongs here as is more of a toddler issue....

Hi all, have been doing blw with my little boy since 6mths, he has just turned one. It has been great, took him a while to get going but now eats like a trooper. I have only one problem. He is just not interested in veges and never has been. He'll eat them in soup etc but not on their own. We've never made a deal out of it or pushed him to eat them, simply offered them with the rest of his meal each time, but he just leaves them untouched every time. I know they are supposed to only eat what they need at any given time, and i'm still breastfeeding him so I keep telling myself that he must be getting those vitamins from me still, but this has been going on for 6 months...is this ok? It's definitely more than just a fad. Perhaps once I eventually stop breastfeeding him he'll start eating veges?? It seems unlikely but I need some straws to grasp at! Have tried every vegetable under the sun. All colours, shapes and sizes, cooked and raw, mushy and al dente, but nothing seems to entice him. It's just protein, carbs and fruit all the way for him! He does eat a lot of fruit so at least he gets something fresh. My husband and I eat loads of veg so he sees us eat it every day, it shouldn't be an alien concept. Anyone with more experience of blw have any advice or a little bit of reassurance? Or a similar problem? Thanks lovely people! xxx
Dulcie

Re: One yr old never been interested in veges, any advice?

Postby babydsmummy » 17 Feb 2013, 19:43

My fussy eater has become much more willing to eat vegies since he started using a spoon or fork by himself. Now I chop them up into small pieces so he can scoop them up and they tend to go down with everything else. Another straw for you to grasp onto :D Either way I wouldn't stress about it - it's not like you're going to start force feeding him, so just stay relaxed and see what happens.
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Postby weasley » 17 Feb 2013, 19:46

Just keep doing what you're doing. My ds2 barely touches veg unless it's in spag bol/chilli/soup/shep pie etc but as you can see, you can get plenty in them without them needing to pick a plain veggie up and eat it. Toots is happy and healthy and doesn't make a fuss if there are vegies on his plate; he just doesn't eat them. All I do is keep offering but make no reference to them other than normal conversation. He has slowly began to try things (sweetcorn the other day, brocolli before that and runner beans today) and I'm happy with that. You can't force them and it's not worth trying. You can still offer plenty of visible and hidden veg though and just wait. :D
Mammy to Scoot(4.7.08) and Toot(4.11.10) and Ducks(26.08.13)
weasley

Postby mamapup » 17 Feb 2013, 21:18

The puppy is also not interested in veg of any kind. Almost everything gets picked.up, examined and then firmly dropped on the floor. It's actually very hard not to laugh. Like your son, he sees us eat loads and is perfectly happy if they're in soup but cooked he isn't interested. I think it's a texture thing.

He was the same with pasta until yesterday when we offered him some pasta salad out of a bowl. He dived in. We repeated today at the table to make sure it wasn't a fluke and the same thing. Maybe try serving in a bowl if you normally place on a mat? Or, as babydsmummy suggests, cutlery? Although the puppy is younger than your boy so Maybe you're already doing bowls etc.

I'd love to know what others think, too.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

Slightly horrified by my huge number of posts.

One puppy June 2012 and one little croc March 2014
mamapup

Postby catkin » 17 Feb 2013, 22:03

Hamster's not quite this extreme but not that keen on fruit or veg, she's def a starch and meat girl. Mouse on the other hand never went for meat much but would eat fruit and veg all day. We kept offering and kept offering. Last week he suddenly out of the blue got all excited about roast lamb and had three helpings - I was gobsmacked! Remains to be seen if that's opened the floodgates or if he goes back to mince & sausages only again. When he was a baby he also refused potatoes until around a year then suddenly was fine with them. Similarly cheese, think that took a bit longer.
I think you just keep offering and one day they'll surprise you.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 17 Feb 2013, 23:42

I've started hiding veggies in bolognaise sauce as munchie only eats baked beans, tomatoes and cucumbers. So she's chomping away on carrots and celery without the drama!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Postby Mini B's Mummy » 18 Feb 2013, 01:59

Mini B was never very interested in veggies apart from peas (which he'll happily eat frozen!) but always loved fruit and still does. I used to put veggies in bolognese etc, which he'd eat no problem. One day we had zucchini, he ate all of the three or four batons in his bowl, then demanded and ate all that was left on DH's and my plates! Ate zucchini happily the next few times we had it and then stopped for another month or so. I've always just kept offering whatever we're having, and in the last couple of months he's started eating sweetcorn, broccoli, cucumber, tomatoes, carrots and red peppers. He's 2 now. Keep trusting your LO - it will happen eventually!
DS Mini B born Dec 2010
DD Micro Beans born Dec 2012
DD Nanobeans born Jun 2016
Mini B's Mummy

Postby Dulcie » 20 Feb 2013, 08:57

Thanks everyone, this has given me a morale boost! I am loving baby led weaning, he is a hearty eater apart from lack of veges and just as the book promised, the mess is already disappearing. He spent ages dropping everything he didn't want overboard, but just this week he has been politely handing me unwanted food and empty spoons! He has also this week learned to say yes and no when I offer him different foods/drink which has massively reduced the amount of waste! I wasn't expecting things to get easier so quickly...great!
Dulcie

Postby Violet_Cue » 05 Mar 2013, 01:37

We don't have a lot of veggies at our house (shock! Dh doesn't eat them and they end up going bad if I don't pay attention!) But J has always liked carrots and has been off and on with asparagus.

He seems to do better with stolen veggies - now loves sweet peppers after being given them raw while I was chopping... has had broccoli taken from cm's salad. Likes grated raw carrot. He still isn't a fan of many cooked vegetables.

I never worried from a nutritional standpoint. Just kept offering and in all forms. They aren't high in colories either, so he may be getting the nutrients from milk and that's that.

My favorite thing about BLW is being relaxed about what he is eating... nobody knows what he needs exactly, so I trust him to manage it. (Although we are now working on a cookie obsession.)
Canadian mom to J - Feb 2011 and L - March 2015
See my face painting at www.facebook.com/create.a.face.nl
Violet_Cue

Postby AriellRose » 12 May 2013, 02:41

So glad to read others are going through the same thing! Our LO literally picks the veggies out of his food and throws them on the ground. Normally, he eats heartily at daycare, but the other day, next to lunch, they wrote "refused"--perplexed I looked at the menu, and they tried to give him kale. KALE! The horror! He probably thought the rest of the food had been poisoned by the leafy green. He used to eat some veggies, but has never been a fan of those on the bitter end (broccoli, arugula, etc.), and now he's plain stopped eating them. I keep offering hoping that some will end up in his mouth; happy to hear it may be a phase and that if we keep putting them on his plate, eventually he'll give some of them a try!
AriellRose

Postby squirt » 12 May 2013, 03:31

didn't read all posts.

we got the same thing. DS isn't eating many veggies, just plays with them. He'll sneak a couple in if we put it on the fork, but prefers the cheese at dinner time.

you got to remember, they need a whole lot more protein and fat than we do and very little fibre. Vegetables are often hard to digest, so that's probably why they skip them until much later.
squirt

Postby mamapup » 12 May 2013, 05:56

The puppy is almost one (huh,how?) and still barely touching veg. We were talking about it last night. I just stopped bf so a bit more concerned than we were a few months ago. Like the point that once he's happy with a spoon he will be able to eat hidden veg. Problem is that currently he likes to be fed yoghurt off a spoon but nothing else and even when we help him dip a spoon he thenchucks the contents if it's not yoghurt. But we will keep on hoping...

Lunch today is pasta and veg salad. He may eat nothing even though it is entirely veg he has liked at some point or other.
In my heart I am Rascalpup, a name awarded during battle with one persistent spammer. I like to think ironside but with sarcasm rather than an axe.

mamapup

Postby pirate_han » 12 May 2013, 09:37

Belle will reliably eat peas, sweetcorn, mushrooms, and will eat green beans most of the time. She used to love broccoli and asparagus but won't touch them at the moment. She has never eaten carrots. I'm offering the things she does like regularly and always offer anything else we're having in case she chooses to try it. If she chucks it then I don't make an issue. It doesn't worry me particularly as a) she is a fruit monster, and b) as others have said, I use quite a bit of veg when making pasta sauce, soups, shepherds pie, lasagne etc and she has no problem eating it then.

Interestingly she will often try (even if it does end up spit out) new veggies if they're on a pizza as opposed to just chucking them onto the floor.
B - March 12
A - January 15
pirate_han

Postby mamapup » 12 May 2013, 12:41

pirate_han wrote:
Interestingly she will often try (even if it does end up spit out) new veggies if they're on a pizza as opposed to just chucking them onto the floor.

I've noticed this too!

mamapup

Return to Toddler Led Eating