What do you feed your ****fussy**** toddler?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Re: What do you feed your ****fussy**** toddler?

Postby eterna » 18 Feb 2013, 16:39

For us the staples that *usually* get eaten are:
-chicken wings (teriyaki or honey garlic - homemade)
-wraps - but she only wants cheese and lettuce in it
-spicy meat sandwich (which means bread, salami, and mayo - nothing else)
-macaroni and cheese (homemade but she will refuse any other shape of noodle)

I do think she eats quite a bit more than this especially at the dayhome, but there are definitely a lot of supper meals at home where she will end up eating very little because it's not one of the above things (tomato sauce and potatoes are two gigantic no-nos). For supper I just feed her whatever we are eating and usually use these staples for lunch time, which I think is her more natural "big meal" time anyways.

Sometimes in the car on the way home, she'll ask DH what is for supper and then proclaim that if it's not chicken wings, she won't eat it. <sigh>
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby handstand79 » 18 Feb 2013, 17:56

Our meals that will get eaten are
-pasta peas and bacon
-fish in beadcrumbs, oven chips and baked beans
-homemade pizza (toppings get eaten on pizza they wouldn't normally dream of trying)
-fajitas - ds1 has proper chicken fajita, it's the only way he'll eat chicken, ds2 plain tortilla, raw pepper and plain rice
-sausage, peas, brocolli, pasta and raw carrots
-cowboy casserole (basically sausage and beans)
I keep meaning to try savoury pancakes as they love pancakes! There are so many things at least one of them won't eat. I just offer a balanced meal, make sure there are at least two things I know they'll eat and try not to worry. They had raw carrot and pasta with their roast chicken Sunday lunch yesterday but then tried everything else. I am offering things I know they'll eat at the moment as I'm too tired by tea to be having stressful mealtimes but normally they get whatever we're having with a couple of side substitutes if needs be to make sure there is something they will eat!
handstand79

Postby EmmyandSpencer » 18 Feb 2013, 18:19

I've never done special dinners for my son. He eats what we eat. He had fajita with us and eats chili the way we make it.

Right now he is on a stretch where he wants milk constantly.
EmmyandSpencer

Postby FestiveTidings » 18 Feb 2013, 18:56

EmmyandSpencer wrote:I've never done special dinners for my son. He eats what we eat. He had fajita with us and eats chili the way we make it.

Right now he is on a stretch where he wants milk constantly.

Until about 14 months this was Roo. He would eat Fajitas, curry, Chilli, stir fry's, chimichangas, stew, roast meats (chicken, beef, lamb). If we ate it, he would have some. Only thing he wouldn't eat is broccoli or potatoes (unless they were homemade chips).

Then he seemed to go right off meat and right off spice. We still eat those things but he will only eat the bland parts.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby handstand79 » 18 Feb 2013, 19:16

We were fine to begin with, ds1 started being funny with hot food around 14 months after a sickness bug and ds2 was later but no known trigger. It's a fine balance between offering what you are having and them liking or lumping it and ending up being drawn into them having the same foods all the time. I just find it demoralising cooking a meal I know they won't eat to then have a mealtime with tears and tantrums. And a few things on the plate that are definately favourites makes them much happier to try the other foods on their plates. That's all I want, for them to try them. I keep trying to keep it in perspective how I would feel faced with a plate of something I felt really uncomfortable eating. They are gradually becoming more adventurous but it is a slow process!
handstand79

Postby FestiveTidings » 18 Feb 2013, 19:29

That's how I feel handstand. I make sure and still put a bit of whatever we are having on his plate - at weekends he eats with us but during the week it's earlier as DH and I aren't home yet so he may get some or not. He occasionally surprises us by trying something. Like chicken satay. Didn't like the chicken but loved thr sauce and kept dipping chips and prawn crackers into it. But since this was s birthday meal, and DH hates it, I doubt it will be on the menu often (which is a shame as I love it too!).

I'm happy to serve up old favourites, just looking for new twists on them!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Violet_Cue » 04 Mar 2013, 00:41

We haven't had issue with spice, I think his tolerance is better than mine. I would say to keep offering what you are having and have easy sub-ins on hand. J for a long while wouldn't eat fish cakes, but now has been loving them (and had fish cake and strawberries the last two nights for supper.)

I also think that the last meal of the day is the hardest... his supper tonight was actually served under the guise of a snack, since his hungriest is in the morning (around 9) and afternoon (between 4 and 5.) I find later he is pretty choosy about what he wants to eat.
Canadian mom to J - Feb 2011 and L - March 2015
See my face painting at www.facebook.com/create.a.face.nl
Violet_Cue

Previous

Return to Toddler Led Eating