What do you feed your ****fussy**** toddler?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

What do you feed your ****fussy**** toddler?

Postby FestiveTidings » 17 Feb 2013, 17:41

Apart from whatever you at eating that is?

Roo is now eating dinner at 4:30 as he is struggling to wait until 6pm for DH.

DH and I have seen it as a bit of an opportunity to start eating more spicy stuff that roo doesn't like so I've started cooking separate meals for roo on those occasions. However I feel we are stuck in a rut with an endless cycle of sausages, pesto pasta, plain spaghetti and homemade pizza.

What does your toddler eat? I'd like some inspiration!
Last edited by FestiveTidings on 18 Feb 2013, 11:25, edited 2 times in total.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Re: What do you feed your toddler?

Postby A_W » 17 Feb 2013, 17:51

Whatever we're having. Tonight it's lamb chops and veg. Yesterday it was stir fry with noodles and tuna. The day before it was chilli. Before that it was smoked salmon rissotto. We left out the hot chilli using only mild chilli and my dh adds his own with some spicy sauce.
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby Gizmo » 17 Feb 2013, 18:23

Try a tin of sardines or mackeral, if they are whole then they are great for little fingers to pick up, give with some tomato, cucumber, lettice and cheese.
Really quick pasta, put pasta, chopped carrot and a few brocolli florets in the same pan of water, when the pasta is done the rest should be too. Stir in a sauce or leave it plain (I do this one a lot if DH is working late).

Nothing amazing but they do like them a lot.
Gizmo

Postby Morlyte » 17 Feb 2013, 18:27

I don't cook spectate meals either unless there's spicy then the kids have something from the freezer, like a pasta sauce with tuna, chicken or bacon thrown in. Sometimes they just have cheesy, peasy pasta lol. Generally though I eat with them at 4.30 and then dp reheats his.

I always make extra pasta sauce when I do meatballs (i pack the sauce with leftover veggies) then freeze the leftover sauce in a silicone muffin tray so I can then bag little portions up for these times. I do the same with pesto.
Morlyte

Postby WishingBone » 17 Feb 2013, 18:57

Separate dinners here - we don't want to eat at 5pm. They're at nursery 4 days so we only need to worry about 3 days.

Easy fish pie - poach frozen coley fillet in milk for 10 mins, meanwhile microwave a potato and soften with butter. Shred fish into ramekin and use fishy milk to mash the scooped-out potato. Spread mash on top. Serve with peas.

2-egg omelette with onion, tomato, peppers, cheese etc

Pasta, tuna mayo & peas

Eggy bread and beans with broccoli etc

Will edit to add more...
Bemused parent to the Bear (2009) and Smudge (2011).
WishingBone

Postby AwayinaChive » 17 Feb 2013, 19:03

Mine love roasted sweet potato chips!
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Postby Popsie » 17 Feb 2013, 19:17

When I'm feeling uninspired I remind myself of meals by thinking if it in 2 ways. Firstly I think if the starch/ carb .... So rice, potatoes, noodles, bread, cous cous, polenta etc. and then work round that. Or I think of types if cuisine like Italian, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Mexican etc.

A couple of ideas could be if you are having a spicy curry, do extra rice or noodles and stir fry it the next day for LOs dinner. Could add egg to the rice. You can use up lots of veg that way too.

If you make fajitas or Mexican food you can keep the mainly relatively mild and offer to LO the next day and you can spice yours up with add ins like sliced chillies and pepper sauce. We do this and Midge uses yogurt in hers too to make it milder still.
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Postby Rosella » 17 Feb 2013, 19:39

We have food that I can offer M but that is grown up too if that makes sense. This week we've had chilli, mackrel pasta, pork mince pie, poached chicken with veg. It is lunches I am struggling with as he won't do sandwiches!
Mum to Miles Nov 2011

Independant Consultant for The Pampered Chef - http://www.facebook.com/HollysPamperedChef
Rosella

Re: What do you feed your ****fussy**** toddler?

Postby FestiveTidings » 18 Feb 2013, 11:07

Roo doesn't do sandwiches either - he would rather just eat the buttered bread!

Doesn't do any kind of spice either - even mild chilli is spat out and his tongue given a thorough scraping! When we have fajita's he usually has some tortilla with guacamole spread on (won't eat cheese, chicken, onions or peppers) some other veg such as cherry tomatoes and a few mini sausages!

Have some good ideas there though - especially the leftovers from our tea the night before.

I'm struggling though as he is starting to become so insular in what he eats. I don't think he is being fussy, I think he is just being a toddler. If I could rename this thread to "what do you feed your fussy toddler" then I would!
FestiveTidings

Postby FestiveTidings » 18 Feb 2013, 11:07

Worked out how to do it!! :-)
FestiveTidings

Postby Riotproof » 18 Feb 2013, 11:18

Baked beans is my emergency meal. Ds also loves spaghetti bolognese, so I often have portions ready t go in the freezer.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby FestiveTidings » 18 Feb 2013, 11:30

For us it's pesto pasta. Just feel like I'm giving it to him all the time.

Haven't tried baked beans for a while because of the tomato sauce.

I guess it's just me being a bit conscious of eating the same things every week :-(
FestiveTidings

Postby Riotproof » 18 Feb 2013, 11:33

I guess if he likes pesto pasta, can you add in bits of cooked chicken and sliced snow peas, slivers of carrot etc to make it different but similar :?:

Tbh, dh ss most pleased when it's something simple like a roast or meat and veg or pasta. He does love curry and noodles too though.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby Lioncub's mama » 18 Feb 2013, 11:34

We use left overs from the night before a lot - fried left over rice with peas/veg, left over pasta etc. Baked beans are a good emergency staple. THe other thing he loves, which is really quick (if a bit salty to have too often), is tortellini pasta (the sort that is stuffed with spinach and ricotta or mushrooms etc), which only takes three minutes to cook, then we just sprinkle some olive oil on top. We'll often steam some brocolli or cook some peas (he loves peas!) to add some green to whatever we're giving him. Eggs (omelette or scrambled) used to be a brilliant quick meal but now he won't touch them (though egg fried rice sometimes works).
Lioncub (P) - August 2011
Baby brother (E) - December 2013
Lioncub's mama

Postby DustyMcBrush » 18 Feb 2013, 13:53

i have similar issues...here's what works for my fussy toddler in case any of it helps...

grilled chicken and homemade chips with peas ( i add cajun spice to mine and dps)
fried chorizo with pasta (no sauce!)
sausage and broccoli pasta
fish and couscous burgers and green beans
jacket potato with cheese. peas and corn on the side
philly and ham wraps
beans/cheese on toast/bagels/crumpets
potato cakes
er...im about to exhaust my list i think!
"So they went off together. But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the Forest a little boy and his Bear will always be playing."
DustyMcBrush

Next

Return to Toddler Led Eating