Refusing to sit at the table?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Refusing to sit at the table?

Postby FestiveTidings » 08 Feb 2013, 19:02

Since just before Xmas, Roo has been refusing to sit at the table for meals. He gets upset if you try and put him in his booster seat orr even a normal seat. He will sit for 30 seconds then ask to be excused.

So I've started to give him is meals on his ikea play table and he seems ok with that. However if you continue to eat at the table he gets upset and refuses to eat his meals. So we've started moving his ikea table to in front of the sofa and DH and I sit there and also eat off the wee table, while roo sits on his mini chair and eats as well. We switch the TV off.

I do occasionally test the water by putting a meal on our table but do far we haven't had much success. I don't know if his booster seat is uncomfortable now but the adult chairs are still too low? Thing is, he will sit at the table to play with his cars and crayons - just not food!

My instinct is not to make food a battle ground. If he's not hungry when we eat, I leave his dinner out and often he will eat it later.

Just looking for reassurance that we will eat at the adult table again!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Re: Refusing to sit at the table?

Postby PerpetualMadness » 08 Feb 2013, 20:25

Well, since he's clearly not uncomfortable at the table (because he will play/draw there), I would be hard line and say meals at the table. If you get down, you're done. Not a battle, just a fact.

If he were uncomfortable, I would find ways around that but that doesn't seem to be the problem.
Last edited by PerpetualMadness on 08 Feb 2013, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
PerpetualMadness

Postby issi » 08 Feb 2013, 20:31

I'd do what PM said but I'm sure you're right that he won't still demand to eat at his play table when he's 18 ;)
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby TwinklinGDecorations » 08 Feb 2013, 20:50

I agree, meals at the table or not at all. You can only get down when everyone has finished. That's just the way it is, you don't have to eat but you do have to stay.
So somehow it happened, my weaners are at school,
I'm still here though and people I'll try to fool,
with tales of advice giving and of wanting to know
But really here's the only place I ever want to go.
TwinklinGDecorations

Postby TwinklinGDecorations » 08 Feb 2013, 20:51

In between high chair and adult chair I allowed kneeling on the chair to get the height right. We're back to bottoms on seats now.
So somehow it happened, my weaners are at school,
I'm still here though and people I'll try to fool,
with tales of advice giving and of wanting to know
But really here's the only place I ever want to go.
TwinklinGDecorations

Postby welovepresents » 08 Feb 2013, 21:24

Someone on a previous thread recommended the kaboost seat which we bought and worth every penny, check it out
Mother to squeezy little girl born Dec 2010 and now little DS born May 2013
welovepresents

Postby catkin » 08 Feb 2013, 22:17

We had a phase of this at around 18 months with mouse. We got one of those step chairs (like a tripp trapp, but ours is hauck and much cheaper!), which seemed to make a difference immediately.

Rules in our house is that children can leave the table when they've finished their meals; if they leave it is taken that they have finished. We actually found once mouse was able to get out himself with the step chair, he was happier to sit at the table. We think he didn't like feeling captive.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby PerpetualMadness » 08 Feb 2013, 22:23

TeeGeeDee wrote:In between high chair and adult chair I allowed kneeling on the chair to get the height right. We're back to bottoms on seats now.

This. Although I still allow P to kneel if he wants. As someone with short legs, I am acutely aware of how uncomfortabl it can be to have your legs dangling off the edge if the chair. The boys have tall ikea chairs but that doesn't solve the leg dangling issue.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categ ... kea/18733/
PerpetualMadness

Postby FestiveTidings » 09 Feb 2013, 06:16

Ok, so if I do the hard line and say your done if you get down, is it acceptable for me to give him something to eat afterwards? Because I can't cope with doing back to feeding 5 times a night which is what he does if he misses a meal.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby PerpetualMadness » 09 Feb 2013, 06:33

FanToosh wrote:Ok, so if I do the hard line and say your done if you get down, is it acceptable for me to give him something to eat afterwards? Because I can't cope with doing back to feeding 5 times a night which is what he does if he misses a meal.

At the next normal snack point and of normal snack size, yes.

You don't have to go back to feeding him at night if you don't want to.
PerpetualMadness

Return to Toddler Led Eating