Packed lunch inspiration please!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Packed lunch inspiration please!

Postby t&n's mummy » 21 Jan 2013, 15:59

Thomas has started nursery for 15hrs/ wk over two days and we need to send him with a packed lunch. So far he has been there for two weeks and I am already bored of packed lunches. Nursery do not allow sweets, cakes or biscuits and they want to promote healthy eating so have asked that the packed lunch reflects that. I gave him dairy lea (his choice) sandwiches on brown bread, with a few little cheese biscuits, a couple of cubes of cheese, a piece of fresh fruit, a fruit roll thing (like a leather) some raisins and a drink.

I need some better ideas and inspiration please.
Ps it needs to be quick to put together...
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Re: Packed lunch inspiration please!

Postby MumtoMonsters » 21 Jan 2013, 16:03

K always had peppers, cucumbers, slice of bread/breadsticks/cheese straws/crackers, ham/chicken/salmon, a tube smoothie and a rice pudding.

Now she has school dinners and the fussy little moo eats the lot nearly every time!

G will be easier. At least he'll eat sandwiches!
2008 and 2010
MumtoMonsters

Postby issi » 21 Jan 2013, 16:06

My Thomas loves:
- chorizo - those mini snacking ones
- all dried fruit but especially mango or banana
- yoghurt
- leftover pesto pasta
- cold pitta pizza (I keep pittas in the freezer for when we run out of bread - just toast, spread with tomato paste, sprinkle on grated cheese and bung under the grill for a few mins)
- cheese and sweet potato muffins

The no cakes/biscuits thing is a bit restrictive - I often put in homemade, low sugar fruit muffins or flapjack :?

I'll be watching this thread for other ideas...
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby skip » 21 Jan 2013, 16:32

Ooh I was going to start a similar thread the other day...

M usually has:

A sandwich (tuna or ham)
Fruit
A little pot of olives/cucumber slices/carrot sticks/raisins/cubes of cheese
Maybe a boiled egg or a veggie muffin if we've made any
A cereal/fruit bar or a yogurt
Maybe some other carby thing like breadsticks + a little pot of cream cheese/crackers/mini croissant or homemade tortilla chips (dry fry a corn tortilla for a few mins each side and cut into triangles)/flavoured rice cake

Thinking back on the things he used to eat, you could also do:

Veggie/fruit pancakes (throw some grated cheese/courgette/carrot or berries into pancake mix and make a few mini ones)
Salad veg and a little pot of houmous
Cold pasta/leftovers?
Fried rice/couscous balls

He complained the other day that all the other kids have 'nice' lunches and he has 'good' lunches... :? So I'm guessing that means crisps and chocolate and stuff. I really don't want to get into that daily so he's stuck with the good stuff unless he wants school dinners every day! Sometimes we compromise with pom bears or chocolate rice cakes. :)
skip

Postby t&n's mummy » 21 Jan 2013, 17:10

Ooo lots of great ideas thanks!
Mummy to T dec 09 and N Mar 12
One little angel (6w) apr 11
http://www.facebook.com/Mariamadeit or see what we get up to at http://mariamadeit.wordpress.com
t&n's mummy

Location: Not in Kyiv anymore... Back to our own house in se London

Postby handstand79 » 21 Jan 2013, 17:52

We have ham/cheese/tuna sandwich, carrot/cucumber/pepper sticks, a few crisps/cheese staw/breadsticks/crackers, box of raisins, yogurt, fresh fruit (usually grapes and blueberries or apple slices.)
handstand79

Postby meerkatsmum » 21 Jan 2013, 21:46

In books I've seen wraps that a rolled up and cut kind of like sushi, or actual sushi.
Hummus and breadsticks/veg sticks
Mini quiche/frittata
Dinner leftovers (cold chicken/beef, pasta/potato/rice salad) - I always give Meerkat leftovers because it's a way that I know she will eat protein. We are at home though so I can reheat if I need to.

Everyone has already given great ideas and mine might be a little "adult" for lo's. I was kind of thinking about DH's lunches.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby roseyposey » 30 Jan 2013, 20:09

ooh good ideas. My son has just started his 15 hours too and I'm doing packed lunches, I cant believe how much he LOVES his lunchbox as hes not that interested in food generally but definitely has something to say about this!

Popcorn is a winner and also cold sausages, pasta, cheese straws, carrot sticks..

They have raisins and carrots as a snack whenever they want at nursery so those things are out, and its a no nut school which rules out more than I thought!
DS - 28/11/09 and DD - 11/07/11
roseyposey

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 30 Jan 2013, 20:12

Didn't someone (Morlyte?) have a blog on packed lunches in her signature here?
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby Popsie » 17 Feb 2013, 19:26

The best thing I've done, is get Midge a thermos. I bought it a few weeks ago and she loves it! Not for every day but a good idea for variety.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001KC063S

It's a bit pricey but it's saved me buying school dinners! I've given her... Pasta, gnocchi, baked beans, tinned spaghetti and soup. I pop in a pot of grated cheese and bread to dip in if necessary. It fits in her lunchbox and she can have her extras like fruit and yogurt or whatever as well.
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Postby Morlyte » 17 Feb 2013, 21:20

I did start a blog but pretty soon after I started it, Joe would not have pasta or rice in his lunchbox because he said his friends laughed at him which is really odd because some of those friends have pasta too!! PLus 3 days a week, he now stays for school dinner. Anyway, I figured the blog would be a bit boring if I just put a sandwich, wrap or pitta in there everyday for two days a week!

Anyway, Joe would have:
One of the following:
Pasta salad
Rice salad
Crackers with meat, cheese, veg sticks
Sandwiches/Rolls
Wraps or pittas
Mini pizza (homemade)

With:
Fruit salad
Veg sticks
Piece of fruit

and always:
Yoghurt
Drink - small box juice or homemade milkshake in a bottle

Sometimes I allow him to have a homemade cake or biscuit.
Morlyte

Postby oriel » 18 Feb 2013, 08:54

Tuna/egg/chicken mayo salad in red pepper 'bowls'
Boiled eggs (can you tell I'm a big fan?)
Guacamole wrapped in cold roast beef or ham
Faith 12.12.2007—29.12.2009.
Zoe 19.07.2013.
oriel

Postby Fuz-Chan » 18 Feb 2013, 10:24

I'm about to embark on this soon - my plans so far are:

falafel
veggie nuggets
rice balls
savory crepes
sandwiches
pasta dishes
savoury muffins
dips and veggie sticks
breaded tofu sticks with ketchup (in a wee pot) - these are a bit like cold chicken fingers I suppose but as we don't eat meat etc we do tofu - cold chicken sticks would probably go down well with kids
bean burgers
salads

I'm about to buy a bento box set with a small thermos jar included, so pasta / soups / rice can be hot at lunch time - I have one and it is amazing.
Maybe an example day will be rice, falafel, veggie sticks and dip, and some fruit, or hot pasta, a muffin, and a salad.
Fuz-Chan

Return to Toddler Led Eating