Night weaning ... Success!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Night weaning ... Success!

Postby LemonJuice » 20 Jan 2013, 19:44

Not sure how it happened but I've done it. C now no longer expects milk after bedtime! :-)

I started a week ago - refusing milk and saying "you can have milk in the morning" - he has a waterbottle in his room which I offer and he sometimes has but it's was as easy as that for us!

The first few nights he was a bit cross - I cuddled him, told him
I loved him and that I would stay until he was sleeping
And eventually he dropped off. Now I say my phrase to
Him he settles down and goes to sleep!

Now we are going to try and persuade him to go back off without us there. We will go down to him, ask him to go back in bed, reassure him and see how it goes...

:-)
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Re: Night weaning ... Success!

Postby ToothFairy » 20 Jan 2013, 19:57

Well done LJ and Caerpillar :D Night weaning was the beginning of the road to better sleep for us, hope it is for you too.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby Gizmo » 20 Jan 2013, 20:14

Well done :)
Gizmo

Postby LemonJuice » 20 Jan 2013, 20:25

ToothFairy wrote:Well done LJ and Caerpillar :D Night weaning was the beginning of the road to better sleep for us, hope it is for you too.

How does E do now TF? Is she a reliable sleeper? I often think of you in the wee hours and the days you would be posting about her and her poor sleep habits. :) x
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Postby ToothFairy » 20 Jan 2013, 21:40

Since we put her and Dilly in together at the beginning of November she's been absolutely fine :D She sleeps from 7.30 - 7! I never thought it would happen, but putting her in with Dilly and putting her in a full sized single bed seems to have done the trick :D
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby AB&M » 20 Jan 2013, 22:38

Well done!!
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby sully » 20 Jan 2013, 22:51

Well done! We achieved night weaning about 6 weeks ago and it has made such a difference to my energy levels overall :)
Pumpkin, b April 2011
Sweetpea, b July 2013
sully

Postby PeaPod » 22 Jan 2013, 13:11

So lovely to see success on here!! Please can anyone give me some tips. We have finally decided to start night weaning (again) officially tonight with our wee man who is 15 months old. I am already wracked with guilt and anxious as to how it's going to go, as I have crumbled in nights gone by, although we haven't tried anything for 3 months now. We started co-sleeping at that point, as he turned 1, i went back to work and his night time waking escalated and he didn't eat much, so the advice from the LLL was to let him make up for lack of milk during the day by feeding as much at night. We then got the massive mattress and here we all are. BUT...he wakes more than ever now and I am soo exhausted going to work full time and not having more than an hour sleep in one go. Last night he woke 6 times, tried not to feed the first time and he got so angry and was screaming, so I gave in. He can eat now, ( he had anterior gag reflex that has taken a while to move back) and does his best, but still feeding a lot through the night. I still want to feed at bedtime and in the morning, but the rest I feel has to stop for my relationship with him, and that with my husband, I am so grumpy all the time. DH is at home with him whilst I am at work , and he loves it, so tonight building on that I am going to sleep downstairs and DH will deal with the wakings. I am under strict instructions to wear earplugs and not come upstairs. I know this may take 2 weeks or more from reading other posts. DH will offer milk from a cup and cuddle on waking. Is this what to do? Also has anyone successfully co-slept after night time weaning? Any support gratefully received.
Proud Mam of wee Pod Oct 2011 and Ro Feb 2014
PeaPod

Postby Morlyte » 22 Jan 2013, 19:21

Gosh LJ I am so jealous! If I tell Noah he can have more milk when he has had a sleep, he gets really cross!!

Well done and I am so happy that you have achieved it in such a simple way. :)
Morlyte

Postby LemonJuice » 22 Jan 2013, 20:33

Morlyte - we did have cross but for a long time now DP has been able to get him back off in the night and has been putting him to bed for nearly a year now so maybe we are at an advantage here!
Peapod - C is so much older so I don't want to give you false hope - c can understand everything we say to him. I would suggest that you try a little step at a time. How about looking at sleep arrangements. 1 thing that helped was moving him to his own room. We bought a single full size bed and set up a cot bed next to it. He started the night off alone and then one of us joined him and slept with him for some of the night. That was at 12m before that we had coslept in our bed from birth.

You could also decide which feeds to refuse. So my definition of morning is not before 5am. A friend of mine chose to start with not feeding between bedtime and 2/3am so at least everyone got some sleep.

Although offering milk is an alternative to breast milk in terms of nourishment - it's not really subbing for what they want the breast feed for such as comfort, warmth, contact, so think about alternatives for those things too. Good luck - luck was all I had!
LemonJuice

Return to Toddler Led Eating