Sucking...

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Sucking...

Postby LemonJuice » 12 Jan 2013, 08:53

I'm having a tough time with C . He's 2 now and is a long-term poor night time sleeper. Over Christmas I began night weaning - doing it gradually by explaining he would only have one side but I would stay and cuddle him to sleep. We were doing quite well. Then last week came a sickness bug and since then he's become obsessed with mummy milk and showing separation anxiety which he's never done.

Last night he nursed for nearly 3 continuous hours. If I tried to separate he protested. In the end I couldn't cope any longer and at 5.15 I took him up to DP and asked to keep us separated so I could get some sleep. C protested a bit but settled fairly quickly.

I'm pretty sure he didn't need the milk but gets hung up on sucking. Any views? Any advice on what to do next to get back on track please?
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Re: Sucking...

Postby PerpetualMadness » 12 Jan 2013, 11:24

Molars?
PerpetualMadness

Postby robyn » 12 Jan 2013, 13:20

I don't know, I wish I did because we're in the same place (and g has had all her teeth for months so it's not molars here) I do remember this with m too though, I reached a point when she was just over two, and we were planning another baby and I just couldn't see how we'd a, get pg and b, cope with another baby because just wouldn't leave me alone at night. She got loads better towards 3, probably because I got pg and so my supply dwindled.
Getting pg again in order to night wean is a bit extreme though...,
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby Morlyte » 12 Jan 2013, 21:43

Two year old separation anxiety and second molars I would say. I say that because we are right there. ALL NIGHT sucking and not much sleeping. However to reward us we have non-stop chattering and 4-5 word sentences!! I also cant leave him with anyone (even with dp when I just go into the kitchen or to the loo) without hysterical screaming and holding out for Mummy. Very tiring when I have huge deadlines and census coming up at school.
Morlyte

Postby LemonJuice » 13 Jan 2013, 21:47

MMM thanks - good to know the 'others' are there too!

Not sure about the molars. I thought he had all his teeth - do they get a second set? I've forgotten with Em.

Slightly better night last night and he wasn't interested in the milk.

Only 2-3 word sentences here at the mo, Morlyte and one of those usually involves 'mummy', lol!
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Postby Morlyte » 13 Jan 2013, 21:58

I think the second molars come through anytime from 23 months? I could be wrong though!! Glad you had a better night. Noah 'only' woke 4 times last night, did a bulk sleep until 12.50am then woke again 2.45am, 3.30am (I didn't even get back to sleep through that one!), 5.15am and then awake for the day 6.10am!

Same here with the sentences usually containing "Mummy", apart from today when he said to dp, "Daddy, me did a dick (sick)", then "no more dick, dick all gone". His speech is just coming on so quickly but then I cant remember if Joe's came as quickly. It seems so long ago doesnt it!!
Morlyte

Postby robyn » 14 Jan 2013, 10:31

They get two sets of molars, but g had hers months ago, about when she stopped napping too :scream
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Return to Toddler Led Eating