Im drowning in sausages

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Im drowning in sausages

Postby FestiveTidings » 03 Jan 2013, 13:05

Roo has become very narrow in the range of food he will eat.

Sausages - any shape or form including smoked sausages and hotdogs
Pizza
Pesto pasta
Roast gammon
Bacon
Chinese noodles with sesame oil and reduced salt soy sauce.
veg is limited to cherry tomatoes, peas and occasionally sweetcorn.
Fruit is apples, strawberries, grapes, peaches, pears and raisins.
He will eat bread and butter and jam and tucks into his cereals and cows milk.
He is also rather fond of cake, chocolate and crisps :oops:

I sail through each mealtime offering something new alongside something he will definately eat so I'm not worried about how much he's eating but what. I make most of it from scratch (ie the pizza is my own dough and I do my own pesto etc) so I limit salt where possible. By doing this he will occasionally surprise us and try something new.

It wasn't until we were at PIL's for Xmas that I realised how much he WON'T eat and how many times all I could offer him was cereal or toast :-( I don't know if I'm compounding the problem by making sure the list above are freely available?

Like many posters of similar threads before me, I just need reassurance that this too will pass!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Re: Im drowning in sausages

Postby Eriksmom » 03 Jan 2013, 13:11

I discussed this with my family resently, and we concluded in the end that this changes all the time, and wether someone is picky or not shouldn't really be decided until we've grown-ups ;)
My father told me how i wouldn't eat this and that, and now i eat it all :)
Eriksmom

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 03 Jan 2013, 14:28

Hmmm, no advice from here. Crumpet eats even less than Roo, pretty much only bread products, sultanas, dried apricots, cheese, yoghurt, cereal, very limited fruit and milk. She has taken to eating a big breakfast at nursery, no lunch and then afternoon tea which is usually sandwiches. Means she avoids vegetables and meat. Oh, she'll also happily eat cake and biscuits. I'm hoping one day she'll actually eat something vaguely healthy. I try hard not to despair!
Lovely Crumpet born June 2011 and little Chompy born January 2014.
Toasty Crumpet

Postby FestiveTidings » 03 Jan 2013, 17:37

Do you think it's an age thing MC? There is only 4 months between our 2!

I thin Eriksmom talks a lot of sense!
FestiveTidings

Postby Svea » 03 Jan 2013, 17:48

Now I feel disappointed that this thread is not really about drowning in sausages. To which my suggestions would have been :

Make into meatballs (squeeze out of skin into little balls), fry and add tomato sauce. That plus slurpy noodles (aka spaghetti) has always won the day.
And sausage casserole. Add beans and tomato sauce, splash of Worcester sauce, serve with rice.

We usually ensure that there is something that DD1 will eat as she is a bit fussier but if all fails she will accept buttered toast. In fact when I offer something I know she likes and she says she doesn't like it, toast is the fall back option.

Even with her fussiness I guess she has an overall balanced diet as she loves meat and veg, fruit, dairy and carbs in the form of bread and cake. Not too fussed on pasta/potato carbs and definitely has never eaten rice, even as a baby!
Mama to M since 02/10/07, P since 08/03/10 and O 07/06/13
Svea

Postby Popsie » 03 Jan 2013, 18:33

It will pass. Midge has never been particularly adventurous, even in the early days. She us now 4 and wil give anything a go (sometimes with a bit of 'encouragement'- 'you have to try a bit. I don't mind if you don't want to eat it or you don't like it but you must try it.')

This evening we had mejadra (middle eastern rice and lentil dish with loads of fried onions -similar to a pilaf) and she wolfed it down with a huge dollop of yogurt! She tried it and loved it. No encouragement needed.
Yesterday I made brocolli soup and she said it looked yucky. I made her try it and she physically gagged (texture issue) so I told her not to eat it. I was amazed that experience didn't faze her with today's meal but 4 years of 'you have to try it' has paid off. We gave only *just * got to the stage where she'll try pretty much anything. Depending on her mood/ environment etc.

I wasn't sure we would ever get there I'm sure we ate nothing but pasta and bread and butter for a year (similar age to your LO I think).
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Postby FestiveTidings » 03 Jan 2013, 19:24

Svea wrote:Now I feel disappointed that this thread is not really about drowning in sausages. To which my suggestions would have been :

Make into meatballs (squeeze out of skin into little balls), fry and add tomato sauce. That plus slurpy noodles (aka spaghetti) has always won the day.
    And sausage casserole. Add beans and tomato sauce, splash of Worcester sauce, serve with rice.

Sorry to be misleading Svea,though if it helps we are actually drowning in sausages - I'm my fridge at the moment I have 2 packs of pork sausages, 1 pack of mini sausages (wee willie winkies they call them up here) 1 pack of beef sausages, 2 smoked sausages and a packet of hot dogs. I also have bacon, cheese, coke and chocolate too!

Your recipes sound delicious though and I'm going to give them a go (especially with the sausage casserole. I usually just bung in an onion, mushrooms and a chasseur sauce mix :oops: ). Alas, roo will not partake of such wanton adultery of the common sausage. In his world a sausage that isn't fried should be regarded with deep suspicion.
    FestiveTidings

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 03 Jan 2013, 19:32

My brother ate five food as a child, he is now an amazing cook and apart from still disliking cheese eats the same as other normal adults (I suspect his dislike of cheese would be less apparent in other families).

All children like what they are used to so going to another house can make them appear more fussy than they are, especially before they develop the ability to eat food that they don't like at someone else's house. My kids aren't fussy at home but e.g. DD2 doesn't eat custard, cream, mayonnaise, some chocolate flavoured things which means she's not going to be able to eat a lot of puddings at school whereS it's not an issue at home generally.
    See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
    See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
    Louisianablue2000

Postby pimento » 03 Jan 2013, 19:39

We've been having this discussion about E recently too. E will eat cereal, pasta, cheese and fruit. We can put anything we want in the pasta (chicken, tuna, mince, sausage, etc) and it will go down well but that's about it.

Biscuits and cake are always a go-er of course. She used to eat loads of different stuff but will barely touch veg now, unless it's peas.

But at nursery, she eats everything! It's obviously peer pressure...
    Big E - Jan 2011
    Little E - Feb 2013
    pimento

Postby Violet_Cue » 04 Jan 2013, 01:56

Jackson has taken to being specific in his wants at home... but not just with food, he is particular with what goes on the tv, which books we ready at bedtime, etc. I think part of it is control.

At home he eats - greek yogurt w/ fruit (no fat but loads of protein) cheese, crackers, sausage, rice, butter (curry) chicken, pizza (not homemade, since we get it when I can't be bothered to cook...), fruit (most any, but is on a pineapple kick) rarely veg, toast (I buy the ancient grains with lots of extra stuff in it), cereal...he had pork chops last night, but has refused (ignored) in the past.

He usually has 2-3 bites of whatever we are having for supper. He'll then eat fruit if offered, but doesn't always look for something different at supper. Up until recently he has often ignored his supper/ what we're having. Not sure what changed?

He eats way more at the cm... which doesn't follow for weekend lunches.

Oh, and I cook my sausage then put it in penne/ tom sauce/ mozza in a casserole dish and bake. Always make one to freeze too. It is one of my favorites!
    Canadian mom to J - Feb 2011 and L - March 2015
    See my face painting at www.facebook.com/create.a.face.nl
    Violet_Cue

Postby CPinho » 04 Jan 2013, 15:11

Wow! I am looking at your list and finding I could have written it! Especially the vegetables part - that's exactly what my daughter eats and nothing else.
    Mum to R, born March 2011, and S & I, born October 2013
    CPinho

Postby FestiveTidings » 04 Jan 2013, 15:38

It must be an age thing!

I've decided just to go with the flow. Tonight hubby and I are having bacon and mushroom pasta in a cream sauce with garlic bread. Roo will be having a the same, but with the addition of sausages and cherry tomatoes.
    FestiveTidings

Return to Toddler Led Eating