Two birds with one stone - so to speak.

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Two birds with one stone - so to speak.

Postby realsLINshady » 10 Oct 2007, 12:52

Now I am probably getting excited about something you all know and I'm pretty sure that Aitch has already done this (story of my life) but I am so chuffed.......

Small is now walking and doing the Hanging Off the Back of My Jeans Whining While I Try To Cook - especially in an evening after nursery. She is also firmly in the "Vegetables - Non Merci!" stage of eating so ignores all veg on her plate at every meal. I have been stuggling along, cooking with a clingy child at my ankles and hiding veg in everything I could, but finding meals & cooking so much less enjoyable. In fact, coupled with being back at work, it has been making me feel quite miserable.

Anyway - inspiration struck - I brought the high chair into the kitchen, sat her where she can watch what I'm doing and handed her batons of veg as I cooked. She munched away happily and put away a whole carrot and three broccoli trees. We then went to the table and she ate her chicken balls & potatoes & fruit as though it were her normal meal. Yay!

Now I am enjoying it all again (partly because it feels like the early days to be dealing in carrot batons again) and we have a lovely harmonious time in the kitchen of an evening. I even deployed the method on Sunday morning and we made drop scones together while she downed some raisins. She's getting more greens and the world is a rosier place.

Its one of those times when an obvious solution has been staring me in the face but I have just soldiered on unthinking.

Of course, she'll take against it now that I've broadcast it to the world. :scream
realsLINshady

Postby Lorbeer » 10 Oct 2007, 18:21

Yay to you getting more greens in. We are just entering that stage now. The whining while I am in the kitchen has been going on for a while now. That is one of the reasons why I cook in the evenings for the next day. I will try out this method at the weekend.

cheers,
Lor
Lorbeer

Postby fibernie » 10 Oct 2007, 18:25

reminds me of a little tip I picked up from Granny Anne (mum of one of my friends). When their 18m old played up at nearly dinner time, they used to make 'soup'. This involved a wooden spoon, and various dried lentils/pasta stirred round in the bowl.
I'm not sure if my dd wouldn't try to eat the pasta though... :?
fibernie

Postby realsLINshady » 10 Oct 2007, 18:32

We did the imaginary soup thing for a while (no actual foodstuffs, just corks & bottle caps etc..)and it was great. Now, however, Imaginary Soup Just Will NOT Do. The whinging seems to have something to do with feeling left out down at ground level which is why the high chair is the piece de reistance.

She is UP, ye see - and feels involved in the cooking. I tell her what I'm doing and she pulls fridge magnets off the fridge door and eats them between the veg batons.
realsLINshady

Postby Aitch » 10 Oct 2007, 18:53

don't forget frozen peas, lin. entertaining and nutritious. dd thinks they're an amuse bouche and gets them pretty much before every meal.
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby fibernie » 10 Oct 2007, 18:55

Here too! they get put in a bowl on the floor and as well as eating them she takes one at a time, feeds them to her toys, and cooks them in her toy kitchen.
fibernie

Postby AB&M » 10 Oct 2007, 19:53

fibernie wrote:reminds me of a little tip I picked up from Granny Anne (mum of one of my friends).

My mum is Granny Anne!!

I love this idea and when DH is late home and I'm trying to cook dinner plus entertain Bruno I often have him with me in our tiny 1-man kitchen to listen to some groovy upbeat music - I tend to stop him from crying by singing and making a general fool of myself :oops:
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby Fozza » 10 Oct 2007, 20:21

Is she too young for a stool? So she can see what your doing and maybe help out. When ever my sis is in the kitchen Ivy is by her side, for 2 mins and then she goes off to play. A good stool is definitely worth investing in.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby realsLINshady » 13 Oct 2007, 07:03

One of my favourite child hood memories is sitting in a stool (perilously close to the cooker now I come to think of it!) at my Grannie's house while she cooked. It had a flip-down set of steps so it was easily accessible for us when we were still quite small. My mother now has it in a nook next to her Aga ready for when Small choses to do the same thing. Makes me feel quite emotional.

However Small is still Too Small for stools - she'd just throw herself off it head first at the moment.
realsLINshady

Postby Mij » 19 Oct 2007, 11:29

Ahhh, yes, the leg limpet thing. We've just started putting IzzyMouse on a chair, probably perilously close to the oven but she seems to have a reasonable sense of self-preservation (although not going to let her loose with a machete just yet) so I think we're alright. If she's having a particularly fragile or accident prone day I put her in a back carry so she can peer over my shoulder at what's going on.

She doesn't eat brocolli at the same time, though. Which is a shame, cos she ate bucket loads of the stuff to start with.

Anyone seen one of those insanely expensive kitchenpod thingies? I'd ask for one for Christmas but getting round our kitchen is an obstacle course as it is without anything else in the way. High chair not quite high enough for izzymouse to see what's going on.
Everything is done by ordinary people
Mij

Postby realsLINshady » 19 Oct 2007, 12:51

Googled Kitchenpod but just found solutions for installing cooking facilities into Primary Schools - assuming that this is not what you meant?! Sounds fun though, but I also have insanely tiny kitchen. (The veg box lives on top of the bin - much to everyone's annoyance but there is nowhere else for it to go!)
realsLINshady

Postby Mij » 19 Oct 2007, 21:59

Darn it, will see what else it could be called.

<wanders off to find the chocolate and slightly confused as to how it got to 11pm>
Mij

Postby Mij » 19 Oct 2007, 22:05

Aha! This isn't the model I meant, but it does the same thing I think.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Partners-L ... B0009UBYK6

see what I mean about the price? Especially considering it looks like an oversized bolsar wood model of seaplane...

No, found it, got the pod bit right but apparently it's a pod for fun...

http://www.olivers-baby-care.co.uk/FunP ... l1066p.asp
Mij

Postby TinkerbellesMum » 19 Oct 2007, 22:13

They have it a little cheaper on eBay.
Mum to:
Lily-Hope, 28-29/09/05 - 20 weeks
Tinker Belle, born 17/07/06 - 31 weeks
Fifi, born 02/01/09 - 35 weeks
TinkerbellesMum

Postby realsLINshady » 20 Oct 2007, 09:51

Jeepers! How much? I squealed with pain buying the Tripp Trapp, I can't shell out that again! And the FunPod has a vague air of medieval marketplace stocks device about it.

I like the principle - I wonder if Small's paternal Grandfather - who is handy with wood - might be persuaded to get creative?
realsLINshady

Next

Return to Toddler Led Eating