3 year old driving me insane.

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

3 year old driving me insane.

Postby roseyposey » 08 Nov 2012, 17:31

DS has never been a big eater, thats fine but at the moment he is literally eating nothing. I dont think hes ill, he just FAFFs around, at meal time he sings, wriggles, does everything except eat.
Today he had cornflakes for breakfast, some raisins and almonds and smoothie as a snack, lunch was 1/4 of a cheese scone and my thinking was, he must be hungry for a good tea. So I've given him a good tea and hes just messing about.. and this happens nearly EVERY DAY its driving me mental..

Its partly the waste, I try and recycle as much as possible but not always an option. Its partly that I spend hours lovingly thinking about what to cook, buying the food and cooking the sodding stuff and its then pushed around the plate and not touched. What is the frickin point. Why am I bothering Why dont I just provide bread and water at each meal.

It doesn't help that his little sister eat nearly everything in about 5 minutes flat. So its also that each meal takes SO BLOODY LONG. I'm so bored of it all.
Sorry for the rant I feel like I'm going bonkers I want to throw his plate of lovingly cooked food at the wall, walk out and never come back!
Now I feel awful because I keep shouting at him I'm So frustrated. How can I calm down and sort this out. How can I stop getting so wound up about it all? I'm scared that my frustration at him not eating is causing more problems but I dont know what to do.
Please help me.
DS - 28/11/09 and DD - 11/07/11
roseyposey

Re: 3 year old driving me insane.

Postby KateGladTidings » 08 Nov 2012, 17:52

OK, first off (((((())))) you are NOT alone. Most of us who have 3yos can identify, I think. My ds is coming up to 3.5 and only now emerging from a long fussy phase, which had v little to do with whhat was on his plate, and everything to do with wanting to chat/play/mess around instead of eat. Is yoour ds in nursery? I think that starting nursery and eating with other children has helped Roo immensely. Also, any chance you could rethink the timing of meals. We used to wait for dh and eat together at 6:30ish but Roo was soooooo tired by then he'd be practically hyper. Changing to 5:45 and eating without dh has made a difference. But mainly ((((((())))))
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby roseyposey » 08 Nov 2012, 18:59

Thanks Kate, they're both asleep now and feel a bit calmer!
He is about to start nursery in Jan, he goes to cm one day a week at the mo but hoping nursery will be good. If nothing else it'll be a meal I wont have to think about (once I've packed it up).
We usually eat at 5pm and dont wait for dh, which is fine, I think maybe I give too many snacks - it seems that any snack then ruins the next meal even if its a couople of hours before. Or maybe he just feels he doesn't need to eat at the moment.

Doesn't help having pmt and a cold!
Thanks for the support! x
DS - 28/11/09 and DD - 11/07/11
roseyposey

Postby Turtle'sMammy » 08 Nov 2012, 19:21

My job is to present the food. That is all. If he doesn't eat it, meh, he'll probably eat at the next meal.
Cook things YOU like to eat, maybe throw in something he likes (mine likes cheese, a lot) and it might take the stress out.
Also, if you cook things in the slow cooker you're 8 hours or so away from the prep, so it's not as stressful when they don't eat it ;)
Plenty of bread and yoghurt. He'll be grand.
(((Hugs)))
Mother to T, July 2008 & A, June 2012
http://turtleturtleturtle.wordpress.com/
Turtle'sMammy

Return to Toddler Led Eating