When did raw greens "click" for you?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

When did raw greens "click" for you?

Postby Brigitte » 31 Oct 2012, 04:53

My daughter is a fantastic BLWer. She tries and eats all sorts of food. She's very enthusiastic about trying all sorts of raw green vegetables too, but she still seems to have trouble chewing them into a state that's comfortable to swallow. To name a few, snap peas, lettuce, cucumber and green beans all get enthusiastically munched at first, but she seems to give up when they don't turn to a nice mush soon enough and takes them out of her mouth. She then promptly puts another fresh one in her mouth and tries again. (Although she usually only tries lettuce once per meal before picking out every remaining piece and setting it aside.)

So, I'm glad she enjoys the taste and the experience of it all, but I'm just wondering when she might have the patience to chew them as long as they require to swallow comfortably? Is it a matter of teeth? At 18 months, she currently has all 8 incisor teeth, and 4 molars. She's working on her eye teeth, but she's a notoriously slow teether so who knows when those will finally appear. She's pretty good at chewing all sorts of things with her molars but just doesn't stick with the raw greens long enough to make them work.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Re: When did raw greens "click" for you?

Postby Toasty Crumpet » 31 Oct 2012, 06:38

Your baby eats vegetables? Sorry, no advice here as Crumpet is a serious veg avoider. She will not even touch them with her fingers, let alone put near mouth. Hopefully, one day...
Lovely Crumpet born June 2011 and little Chompy born January 2014.
Toasty Crumpet

Postby meerkatsmum » 31 Oct 2012, 07:25

I lightly blanch beans and snow peas. It seems to help but not solve the problem. Lettuce, I just give her for the experience. Cucumber we do in long sticks and she does pretty well on those.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby catkin » 31 Oct 2012, 10:52

Yep, i think the second molars made the difference for lettuce and stuff here. Maybe not immediately after they sprouted, but once they were big enough to chew with. Though it might also have had something to do with letting him do the salad spinner - I remember turning round one day to discover he'd eaten all the lettuce I gave him to spin.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby BigFlower » 31 Oct 2012, 22:21

Dd has just started eating lettuce, baby leaf spinach and watercress. This happy time started at August Bank holiday so about 2.5 and definitely well after getting all molars. Also coincided with her getting really interested in tortoises!

No idea re other green veg I'm afraid....... I think it might be her kryptonite!
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby BigFlower » 31 Oct 2012, 22:35

Ooh actually cucumber is always eaten especially if cut into big chunks (like literally a 4 inch chunk of a whole cucumber) and skinned. This since probably around 18 ish months. Before then she liked it skin on and cut into quarters lengthways and then she would nibble the flesh out.
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby Brigitte » 01 Nov 2012, 01:15

Yes, we do frequently steam vegetables, and we've figured out lots of ways for her to actually ingest all sorts of vegetables. I just keep giving her the raw green ones too so she can get more experience with them. She does manage to swallow some cucumber, but it still usually gets pulled out of her mouth in partially chewed chunks. I'm just looking ahead to when she'll actually chew & swallow them!

Again, I'm very grateful that she's having fun with her vegetables. I was just curious about the next step.
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Postby herindoors » 01 Nov 2012, 22:08

Note to self, must get tortoise ;o)
Mum to E born June 2011
herindoors

Return to Toddler Led Eating