Constant snacking + mess = stress!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Constant snacking + mess = stress!

Postby RubLINester » 22 Oct 2012, 12:49

Despite being blw veterans, the mess created by DD2 is beginning to get to me, big time. She is snacking.all.the.time. We do have a little table and chairs where she is supposed to sit while having a snack, but being 26 months old, she has different ideas which results in constant crumbs, mushed, stepped into fruit in the carpet, smeared with food sofa covers...Ugh. And we still have the mat under her chair. I really don't remember DD1 creating this much mess still at this age BUT it might be that it just didn't bother me as much because I had more time...
When I say it bothers me, the mess actually makes my blood boil and I'm begging to think that I have a problem.
I'm so fed up with constant wiping and cleaning, I can't even bring myself to start with PT... :oops:
I am hoping this is just a phase. Or I might be losing the plot.
Anyone else sensitive to the mess their toddlers create??
DD1 July '07
DD2 August '10
RubLINester

Re: Constant snacking + mess = stress!

Postby AwayinaChive » 23 Oct 2012, 12:46

Hi! Sorry, we don't have a problem with food mess, just a blood boiling thing with tiny itty bitty toys and piles and baskets and bags full of them all around the place. I just wanted to say hi cause I haven't seen you in forever and was thinking of you recently!
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Postby BLTMama » 23 Oct 2012, 14:22

I'd try enforcing a snacks in high chair (or whatever she sits for formal meals) only rule for a while. Ideally it would be something with a belt, so you could tell her "you need to sit here and here only for snacks now. If you get up and down, then I'll have to put the seat belt on."

Yes, it's a huge pain and a ton more effort than just handing her something and letting her get on with it while you do something useful. But you might not have to do it very long before she gets the idea that food is for certain places only. For a while, anyway.

I only offer tiny amounts of snacks at a time if she's "on the loose" -- just one or two mouthfuls. It increases the asking, but definitely decreases the mess as she tends to eat all that I give her rather than letting it sit and eventually get knocked (or thrown, grrrr) onto the floor.
♥ Mom to Badger Dec 2009 and Little Tarsier Jun 2013 ♥
BLTMama

Postby Raktajino » 23 Oct 2012, 15:50

Have you tried putting snacks in one of those pots with a lid with slits cut into it so that they can reach into it, but the food doesn't fall out when they knock it over or carry it around? I'm not sure I've described it very well, but I bought one from poundland and it serves a dual function since pulling the food out seems to entertain my little munchkin more than just eating from a plate

ahah - like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vital-spill-Tra ... B008OW587Q
Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Postby RubLINester » 23 Oct 2012, 16:15

Ah yes, I forgot about those Josefifi, thank you. I will check out the local pound shop!
I know I just have to grin and bear it. It doesn't help that she is too independent at the moment and wants to do EVERYTHING by herself. Getting the snack or fruit, putting it in a bowl and running off with it...And there's no way she'd sit in her booster seat while snacking, it's hard enough getting her to sit down for 3 meals a day!
Funnily enough Ives (Hi!) I'm fine with mess as long as there's no dirt around. Seeing a trail of chewed satsuma on the carpet can just turn me into an Incredible Hulk! Arrrgh.
It's just a phase, It's just a phase...
RubLINester

Postby PerpetualMadness » 23 Oct 2012, 18:13

I wouldn't let her snack on the move but that's just us. :) snacking, like meals, are done sitting down. If they won't sit, they're not really hungry.
PerpetualMadness

Postby RubLINester » 23 Oct 2012, 20:30

I think we need to concentrate on her sitting at the snack table. Although that might mean she'd be sitting there for a long time, as she is a serial snacker :) .
DD1 July '07
DD2 August '10
RubLINester

Postby Fozza » 23 Oct 2012, 20:46

Could you put a sign up and say 'kitchen closed' this helped me a bit. They thought it was hilarious!
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby SarahME82 » 20 Nov 2012, 21:31

We let DS snack in the living room, but we mostly give him less messy things, like dried fruit and small crackers. If I want to give him fresh fruit or other messy things for snacks, then I make him sit in the high chair. Of course, he is a bit younger and can't protest as much. I'm also the opposite of a neat freak, so as long as there isn't gooey stuff smeared all over, I don't really mind a few crumbs. :)
DS - September 2011
SarahME82

Return to Toddler Led Eating