too much butter?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

too much butter?

Postby CPinho » 09 Oct 2012, 15:29

My LO (19 months) was eating really well for the past 4 months or so (contrasting to her early career as an eater). Last week she got sick and understandably went back on to a not-eating-a-lot stage. She has since been eating OK at nursery but at home she refuses most everything, except butter, in huge amounts (I am disgusted sometimes).

She will scrape the butter from a piece of bread with her fingers, eat it and give us back the bread so that we can put more butter on it. We use salted butter which worries me, so I don't let her eat a lot. But I can get non-salted butter instead. I just wanted to know: apart from the salt issue (which can be solved) is there any reason why she shouldn't eat so much butter? I think she would eat it all day long if we let her. She will occasionally eat a piece of cheese as well. And she BFs on demand when we're together.
Mum to R, born March 2011, and S & I, born October 2013
CPinho

Re: too much butter?

Postby Nix » 09 Oct 2012, 15:46

Sounds like her body is craving fats after the illness. I would trust her on this for a while but keep offering other foods too so she can have the choice of a healthy diet when she's ready.
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby FestiveTidings » 09 Oct 2012, 17:57

Agree with Nixxie. Sound like she is trying to get something back into her body that she's depleted. Trust her choices and give her plenty opportunity to eat other foods too - fruit veg etc. I would also switch to unsalted butter!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Raktajino » 09 Oct 2012, 18:04

LOs do need a lot more fat than us oldies do, and I agree that she sounds like she's feeding up after being poorly. If it really worries you, you could also try offering other high fat foods which offer additional nutrition such peanut/almond butter, avocados, or you could slather cauliflower in a creamy cheese sauce (yum)
Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Postby Jelly Belly » 09 Oct 2012, 18:41

Both my girlies have had phases of eating butter. The Chooby used to sneak into the kitchen and scoop out fistfuls of the stuff why squirmy has always preferred the bread scraping method your LO uses. It never lasted for long and did seem to follow sniffles.
The Chooby 28/10/07
Squirmy 12/12/09
Baby Bam 13/06/13
Jelly Belly

Postby misschief » 10 Oct 2012, 21:18

This has reminded me of my younger sister, we would often find her in the cupboard eating the butter! When we noticed her missing this was the first place to look, you could always tell she was in the cupboard because she kept her lil foot hanging out to keep the door open :D

Anyhoo, yes what the others have said. Ds1 would often to this too,lick the butter off and hand back bread/cracker to get more. Now that he lives on nothing but fresh air (sigh) when he does ask for a piece of bread I butter it extra thick :wink:
Mum to 2 minions!
Minion1 April09 n Minion2 Sept11
misschief

Postby CPinho » 11 Oct 2012, 23:32

Thanks!

She has been eating better these past couple of days but the butter saga continues. Now I finally got unsalted butter and she had as much as she wanted for dinner - an unbelievable amount (against DH's bets, who was sure she loved the butter precisely because of the salt).

And for the past two days she has also been eating tons of cheese. Tons of butter, tons of cheese, a bite of beef, a bite of apple - that's what she had for dinner tonight.

Unfortunately here in Portugal I can't find any nut butter except peanut; she likes it more or less, but it's such an atypical food for us that we forget that we even have it at home.
CPinho

Postby oriel » 12 Oct 2012, 19:02

Butter is good for vitamins A and K2 as well as general good fat. Cheese is good for both as well. Both are very important vitamins for a growing child! Let her eat the butter.
Faith 12.12.2007—29.12.2009.
Zoe 19.07.2013.
oriel

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 12 Oct 2012, 19:45

CPinho wrote:Unfortunately here in Portugal I can't find any nut butter except peanut

I think you can make nut butters fairly easy if you have a food processor - just whizz roasted nuts and bit of oil.
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby sabrina fair » 12 Oct 2012, 20:41

Is it turning colder over there yet? Only it reminds me of something I've read somewhere, about a grandmother saying she always knew that the weather was turning when she found her children's fingerprints in the butter! Might be contributing to her dairy-mania, coupled with recovering after illness.

I chuckled at your description of her scraping the butter off and handing back the bread for more...monkeybaby does exactly the same thing with hummus!
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby CPinho » 12 Oct 2012, 23:36

monkeygirl wrote:Is it turning colder over there yet? Only it reminds me of something I've read somewhere, about a grandmother saying she always knew that the weather was turning when she found her children's fingerprints in the butter! Might be contributing to her dairy-mania, coupled with recovering after illness.

No, not yet :) Actually last weekend - when the buttermania became more visible - we had almost 30ºC.

But it is a lovely idea :)
CPinho

Postby Sandytoes » 13 Oct 2012, 14:44

Personally I wouldn't even worry about the salt level in the butter - it may be that it's the salt as much as the fat that she's craving (cheese is salty too), and that her body needs it after the illness.

You can always get "slightly salted" butter as a compromise - is Lurpak available where you are?
mummy to T, born 21st August 2009

http://sandytoesanddustyfeet.wordpress.com/
Sandytoes

Postby CPinho » 22 Oct 2012, 10:49

Hi again

So the butter mania is still going. She has been having tons of butter and we're OK with it. My parents are giving me a hard time about it though and I would like to have your opinion on this again. They say too much butter is bad for the liver.
They are not doctors and I have no clue where they got it from so I am not paying a lot of attention, but I cannot help but worry - what if there is some truth in that? I can't seem to find any reference on this - has any of you heard of something similar?

Thanks!
CPinho

Postby Raktajino » 22 Oct 2012, 12:08

I've never heard that, sounds like tosh to me!!

I believe that a high fat diet in adulthood can cause fatty deposits to accumulate in/around the liver. But I think that's a problem associated with obesity and a 3 a day McDonalds habit. I don't think its something you should worry about right now!!!!

So long as your LO is still getting a good variety of other foods, I'm sure she'll be tickety boo
Mum to Sausage, born July 2011
Raktajino

Postby CPinho » 24 Oct 2012, 10:00

OK, thanks! I just needed the extra reassurance. I keep telling my parents that a toddler's nutritional needs are not like ours. Well - I keep telling that to myself as well as it is SOOOOOOOOOOO disgusting when she puts a portion of butter almost the size of her hand into her mouth at once...
CPinho

Return to Toddler Led Eating