Can a toddler eat too much of something?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Can a toddler eat too much of something?

Postby RegansMom » 03 Oct 2012, 17:20

We've been doing BLW for almost a year, and we love it. Our 17 mo really does seem to eat whatever she needs at the moment, some meals it's all veggies, others it's mostly meat, others it's mostly carbs, and so on.

Is it possible, though, that a child will eat too much of something if left to their own devices?

Lately, I've noticed she'll eat almond butter by the spoonful whenever it's available (which thanks to a rigid diet that I'm on is every lunch time) and keep going until it's gone. I know there's all sorts of concern about nuts out there and not eating too much of them for allergy purposes. So, my question is, is it really okay for me to let her eat as much of the stuff as she wants? Or, should I limit her?

It's good almond butter -- the only ingredients are raw almonds; no sugars or any other bad stuff. But still, are there situations when a parent should step in and say "enough"? And, is this one of them?

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
RegansMom

Re: Can a toddler eat too much of something?

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 03 Oct 2012, 18:33

My Mum said she once ate so many raspberries (her Dad had loads in their garden) that she made herself sick so yes, I think it is possible to eat too much of something. As far as allergies go the current evidence suggests that preventing exposure doesn't prevent allergies, amounts don't come into it as far as I'm aware.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby RegansMom » 03 Oct 2012, 23:54

Thank you! That's a relief about the allergy issue.

With regard to her eating too much of something, in the BLW way of doing things, do I tell her to stop? Do I make it so it seems there's none left when I think she's had enough (and how would I decide this)? Or, do I not bring it out until she's had quite a bit of food already? It's slightly tricky in my case since nut butters are one of the few things I can eat.

And, I guess this leads me to my next question: I've been putting out a selection of foods and letting her pick from them in whatever order she wants. Does there come a time when, or should I already be offering her foods one at a time, so she fills up on the more nutritionally dense foods first like, say broccoli and beans, before having a chance at the less-nutritionally dense foods, like potatoes or strawberries?

What do others do? Do you dictate the order of things and let your LO just decide what and quantity, or do you let your LO decide everything (order, what, and quantity)?

Thank you again!
RegansMom

Postby StJuniper » 04 Oct 2012, 00:03

I wouldn't think it was against the spirit of BLW to curtail her consumption. You'd do it if it was something too salty for her, for example. I feel it's more about not forcing her to eat a food or a cErtain quantity; making wise decision about what not to give is still your job as parent.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby ToothFairy » 04 Oct 2012, 06:33

RegansMom wrote:And, I guess this leads me to my next question: I've been putting out a selection of foods and letting her pick from them in whatever order she wants. Does there come a time when, or should I already be offering her foods one at a time, so she fills up on the more nutritionally dense foods first like, say broccoli and beans, before having a chance at the less-nutritionally dense foods, like potatoes or strawberries?

I would just offer meals and let her have what she wants. I wouldn't give one thing then another, unless it was different courses of a meal.
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby RegansMom » 04 Oct 2012, 09:02

Thank you, both!

I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing and perhaps cut back on the amount of almond butter we both eat.
RegansMom

Postby gallicgirl » 19 Dec 2012, 23:12

My DD would eat her own body weight in fruit or raisins if left to her own devices.

When she's asking for her 3rd satsuma for example, I say no and try to offer her something else, preferably something from a different food group.

I figure if she's really hungry then she will accept the alternative and have a varied diet. if she's just being greedy then she will be distracted and move on to another activity when she doesn't get the satsuma.
gallicgirl

Return to Toddler Led Eating