1 year old becoming fussy eater

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

1 year old becoming fussy eater

Postby Eviemama » 03 Oct 2012, 08:44

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice/experience of a previously really good blw'd baby becoming fussy?

I initially thought we were having a teething period which always throws E's sleeping and eating off track but we're passed that now, and she's refusing foods that she previously wolfed down and picking out any type of lump in foods, even sweetcorn out of a risotto, she wolfs down porridge or cereal at breakfast and then I struggle to get anything else into her for the rest of the day, and often revert to what I know she will eat which is rice cake with cream cheese (she really just licks the cream cheese off!).

She is now almost totally on cow's milk so I'm getting worred that she's not get enough vitamins and minerals. I have a feeling that her nursery are spoon feeding her, she is there for 4 meals a week (breakfast and lunch), and am going to reiterate to them that they need to either let her feed herself or pass her a loaded spoon.

Any advice gratefully recieved! Thank you
Eviemama

Re: 1 year old becoming fussy eater

Postby AwayinaChive » 03 Oct 2012, 08:52

My dd2 turned really fussy at about one and still is at 2.5! I kept offering her what we were having for over a year and finally I don't bother offering her exactly what we're having, ie pasta with sauce, but give her plain pasta, etc. I give her 'her' version of what we're all eating. She is extremely fussy though and I think it's genetic and comes from dh and from his father! Seriously. She does have a good variety of healthy things, though limited, and I don't give her any sort of junk food like cake or anything so as not to fill up her tiny belly with junk, but make sure if she is going to eat something at least it's good for her!
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Postby chomaphent » 07 Oct 2012, 03:07

Just after his 1st Birthday my LO went through exactly the same, he ate a huge breakfast of cereal/porridge and fruit then it was a struggle for the rest of the day to tempt him with anything else! All his 'favourite' foods were ignored and I too ended up just offering something I knew he'd eat, in our case bananas! I kept offering different foods but for quite some time it was a banana and sometimes a bit of yoghurt for tea. I put it down to teething, a cold, reaction to his jabs. It lasted about a month, I tried not to worry but it felt like going backwards with wasted food again! Don't know what happened but a couple of weeks ago boy did he get his appetite back, I'm now struggling to fill him! He's now eating three meals a day plus 2 snacks and tucking into food that he's previously refused! Most days his lunch is bigger than mine. I'd like to think that because he was perfectly OK when he wasn't eating much and that he's proved he can and will eat well if he wants to, I'll be more relaxed if/when he goes through another phase like that, but I'll probably worry just as much! Not much in the way of practical advice I'm afraid, but just thought I'd let you know we've been through the same and come out the other side......for now!!
chomaphent

Postby Pics » 07 Oct 2012, 08:24

Lots of them do this just after one; both of mine did. Their appetites actually slow down a bit so some of it seems to be readjustment. Just keep offering as you are and try not to be disheartened by all the food rejection.
Mummy to 3 scrumptious BLWers, who sometimes rebel + ask for spoonfeeding (2007, 2010, 2013). Antilop chair, slings, cloth nappies, no steam mop but awaiting permission for special handshake which probably involves porridge.
http://www.slingtastic.com
Pics

Postby Eviemama » 08 Oct 2012, 09:51

Thank you, that's really reassuring. She's just had another tooth come through so I'm hoping that was the cause, fingers crossed! x
Eviemama

Return to Toddler Led Eating