meal/snack timing?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

meal/snack timing?

Postby Brigitte » 02 Oct 2012, 02:21

It seems like my daughter (17 months) is actually hungry every 2 hours or less. Is it just me, or is this a bit ridiculous? I'm trying to instill the habit of sitting down at the table to eat, but it's always a bit of a hassle to get her there. That's just me whining, I guess.

My real question is more around our afternoons. I give my daughter a meal when she wakes up from her nap, but she doesn't seem to be able to make until dinner without a snack. However, a snack at the time she's hungry ruins her appetite for dinner, and then I feel bad sending her to bed with a less-than-full tummy.

Any tips or solutions out there?
I love my kiddos! Two April girls (2011 and 2013) and a May boy (2016). I guess we have spring babies in this family.
Brigitte

Re: meal/snack timing?

Postby Popsie » 02 Oct 2012, 18:31

How about pre-empting the later snack and offering her a snack at the last time you are happy for her to eat before dinner. That may be better than waiting for her to be hungry.

Really, if you're offering healthy nutritious snacks it shouldn't matter. That's what my head says and other people here will say too. But I personally would want my LO to be hungry at mealtimes. You could always offer a bit of what will be dinner eg bit of pasta before its baked, boiled potato before mashed, veg before it gets cooked...

Another thought is what are you giving for the earlier afternoon snack? Maybe something more filling would help? Perhaps oatcakes, sandwich, cheese etc? Keep that belly full longer!
Proud mummy to my gorgeous girlies
M is 5 and B is 1
Popsie

Postby sabrina fair » 02 Oct 2012, 18:47

Every two hours is about how often I get hungry, and monkeybaby's often the same - so it's normal here! We have a similar problem to you re. afternoon snack and dinner. He's really picky about food at the moment, though, so it doesn't necessarily end up being an issue. e.g. this afternoon he ate (sugar-free) flapjack and then oakcakes as a snack. Then he was still telling me that he was hungry for dinner, but is completely off pasta at the moment (grrr!) so the pasta and pesto was ignored. I just ended up giving him more oakcakes with some soft cheese on, followed by fruit and yoghurt. He was happy and it filled him up with nutritious things, just not the nutritious things that we were eating! Other times he'll have eaten too much snack, so will just push the food around, so I give him fruit instead.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's irritating that he's often hungry for a snack 'too' close to dinner, but I can't bare (sp?) how upset he gets if I don't give him something, so I accept that he'll frequently fill up on the snack rather than dinner. He seems fine on it! :D
Mum to monkeyboy (Spring 2011) and squidge (August 2013)
sabrina fair

Postby pimento » 02 Oct 2012, 18:57

Eva eats at 7:15am (fruit), 8:30am (cereal), 10am (snack- breadstick and cheese or something similar), 11:30am (lunch), 3:30pm (tea), 4:30pm (snack on the way home from nursery) and 6pm (snack- either fruit or yogurt). So almost 2 hours-ish (or less!) and she's 20 months old but has been eating like this since about 15/16 months old.
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Postby Disco » 02 Oct 2012, 20:08

Sounds normal to me. I remember when my parents looked after S sometimes at that age and telling them to feed him every hour and a half or so. It did wonders for his mood! He didn't eat much at dinner for a loooong time but I just had to make sure the snacks were balanced so's not to worry about it.

I'm fairly sure its normal eating habits for that age. Now at 3 he can, but doesn't always eat a good dinner, but still snacks regularly. He eats approx every 1.5 hours in the morning (if he can), but maybe with 3 hour intervals in the afternoon/evening.
mama to two summer boys S (09) and A (12)

http://www.eilidhweir.com/
Disco

Return to Toddler Led Eating