Cow's milk refusal

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Cow's milk refusal

Postby Efficient_Edna » 21 Sep 2012, 07:41

I am so happy to have passed my breastfeeding target of 12 months. I think I am probably ready to stop soon. I am not hating it or anything but in the long run I don't think bf a toddler is for me. However L will not drink cow's milk. She has it on cereal etc. but will not drink it from her sippy cup. We have been trying for a couple of months.

My instinct is to keep bf her until I know she will take the alternative, but part of me thinks that this may be a disincentive for her and perhaps she would drink the cows milk if she wasn't getting it from me?

I also have an old unopened carton of formula (from when A was a baby - still in date!) which I have considered trying her with incase she takes this more easily (and then I can wean her part by part onto cows milk). But I am reluctant to start the whole formula preparation fiasco if I can avoid it.

She currently only bf's once before bed, once in the night and sometimes one mid-afternoon. So only 2-3 times a day.

Any advice for me?
Brilliant A born Jan '10.
Bouncing L born Sep '11.
Efficient_Edna

Re: Cow's milk refusal

Postby emzit » 21 Sep 2012, 07:54

The mini muncher isn't keen on cow's milk as a drink either, I've been getting him to try it since he hit 12 months but no joy so far. He's on 3-4 bfs most days and I'm not planning to wean yet, but I wouldn't go onto formula if I was, feels a bit like a backward step to me.

I have been thinking about posting looking for suggestions on other good ways to get calcium into him so hopefully there will be some good suggestions! Am making a real effort to get yoghurt and cheese into him each day but some alternative high calcium foods would be helpful to know.
mini muncher 8/11
little squish 3/14
emzit

Postby Agatha'sMama » 21 Sep 2012, 08:29

Same here, A has bedtime bf and again when she wakes up, and usually one over night (more if she's ill). She's 16m now and I've given up trying to get her to have cows milk as a drink, she'll have it in and on porridge and loves plain natural yogurt and would eat cheese all day if I let her! She also has tinned salmon about once a fortnight, and ground almonds mixed into things so I've stopped worrying about her calcium intake. Would be interested in suggestions though for when I do decide to stop the bedtime feed!
Mama to A - May 2011

back on the forum after being so rudely interrupted by RL for a year
Agatha'sMama

Postby meerkatsmum » 21 Sep 2012, 10:53

M is almost 12 months and breastfeeds 5-6 times a day. I'm not looking to cut down at the moment so I have no actual experience.

I have heard of people mixing bm and cows milk, if you have some expressed bm?
Formula does seem like a bit of a backstep. Does she drink bm out of a sippy cup? I think that could be a good place to start. I've heard some babies are very particular about how they get their milk (e.g. milk from a bottle while water is fine from a sippy).
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby FestiveTidings » 21 Sep 2012, 12:38

Roo was the same - but I would offer him a little in his sippy cup every day with his morning snack. Usually after a couple of sips he would ignore it, but on day (18 months) he drank the lot and declared yum! He now drinks 2-3 cups a day.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby ches » 21 Sep 2012, 13:53

Milk is not a dietary essential, just a convenient conduit for calcium and fat (and Vitamin D if fortified with it).
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby Agatha'sMama » 21 Sep 2012, 14:52

I think it's one of those things that's so completely ingrained about babies and toddlers, that they "need" a nice big drink of milk before bed, because we always did in my family!
Mama to A - May 2011

back on the forum after being so rudely interrupted by RL for a year
Agatha'sMama

Postby chomaphent » 21 Sep 2012, 19:48

I was really worried when I stoppped BF (at 12 months) that my LO wouldn't drink cows milk, a month later he still won't drink it and I rarely offer it anymore. He eats (mostly) a pretty varied diet, he's not really a fan of yoghurt but eats cheese and eggs and when I spoke to the HV she really wasn't concerned about the lack of milk in his diet, the only time he has it now is on breakfast cereal. My daughter wasn't a fan either and she's now a healthy 18 year old without any deficiencies :)
chomaphent

Postby mummyknowsbest » 21 Sep 2012, 19:59

BS was never a milk drinker until she started school and everyone else was drinking it! Now she'd happily down half a pint in one sitting! Lol

I think milk tastes awful unless on cereal too :D
LittlePom born on October 14th 2007
BigSis born on June 26th 2004
mummyknowsbest

Postby Fozza » 21 Sep 2012, 21:04

Z and A never drank/drink cows milk. They just don't like it. I kept BF (to 18/19m) and while they didn't take a great deal after a year they both seem healthy enough. I don't see milk as essential to their diets.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby Efficient_Edna » 22 Sep 2012, 13:41

Thanks for the replies.

I may try expressing, although I don't think I will get much out, my letdown is very reluctant these days. It will probably scare me even more to see how little I can express!!

You are right about milk not being essential but it is, as has been said, a quick and easy way of getting calcium in so it would be nice if she would take a bit.

Vicki
Bouncing L born Sep '11.
Efficient_Edna

Postby acegirl » 28 Sep 2012, 00:39

My one year old is also not a milk drinker, but loves plain yoghurt. She takes a straw cup of expressed breast milk at daycare and nurses morning and night. We thought about trying to slowly introduce cow's milk, and have done it by mixing it with plain yoghurt! She started by drinking 2-3 oz of this a day, then suddenly went off it. We then tried goats milk, goats milk with yoghurt, kefir, kefir with goat's milk.... The same pattern-- will accept it for a few days, then stops.

Hope this gives you some ideas, and you have more success with them than I have!
acegirl

Postby Rattus » 28 Sep 2012, 08:35

You could always try the technique my parents used on me as a baby. Apparently they added banana Nesquik to cows milk :o And they were both dentists! Amazing how that was considered acceptable in those days. I am still quite partial to banana milkshake now though.
Mum to E (Jan 2012) and A (Mar 2014)
Rattus

Postby Efficient_Edna » 28 Sep 2012, 09:01

It's tempting. I've thought about trying that and then slowly weaning the amount of Nesquick out until it's just milk.

But to be honest she's not drinking ANYTHING at the moment. She's even stopped drinking water, so I tried giving her a bit of weak squash and 50/50 orange juice/water to encourage her to take some fluids but she's not even interested in that!!

Worrying as she only had 1 bf in the last 24 hours and that was during the night. I'm not really setting myself up for being able to night wean her here, am I. :?

I don't know what to do. I keep toying with the idea of stopping bf altogether and just trying to get her to take as much fluids and calcium from elsewhere in her diet, but then there's the sleep thing (another thread altogether). If bf gets her back to sleep when she wakes in the night it is often really the only tool at my disposal, so getting rid of it would be disastrous!!

I'll limp along for another week or two and see how I feel then!!

I also think I need to bone up on dietary sources of calcium, I know I saw a blog about it once. Sesame seeds featured quite high up there IIRC. If anyone has any good links let me know. I'm too busy to do much surfing. This is the sort of info that should feature on this website in particular, is there a sticky link or webpage about it anywhere?? There should be!! :D
Bouncing L born Sep '11.
Efficient_Edna

Postby pimento » 28 Sep 2012, 09:43

Here's a thread I started a few weeks ago- with a good link to an NHS page about calcium sources that messtins posted :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35789
Big E - Jan 2011
Little E - Feb 2013
pimento

Next

Return to Toddler Led Eating