20 months and BFing

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

20 months and BFing

Postby LemonJuice » 16 Sep 2012, 18:17

I've no plans to stop feeding - that will be C's choice but he so in my face for milk these days if I am around. He pulls out my breasts and says 'mine!!!!' and demands milk. He must have had 5 or 6 guzzled today. He's so big and rough with me too while feeding - smacking, pinching, pulling. I found a similar post by me about Em - but just wondered what you do when your toddlers are demanding so much mummy milk rather than eating!
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Re: 20 months and BFing

Postby Morlyte » 16 Sep 2012, 18:28

I go with the milk still. Noah does this pinching thing which really hurts so I have To hold his arm away, especially at night. He is also quite sure of which one he wants too, if I start with the right side at bedtime he gets cross and says, "NO! Dat one!" and points to the left boob. because it has to be left first!
Morlyte

Postby PerpetualMadness » 16 Sep 2012, 18:58

Nicky is two, I go with milk. He eats well unless his teeth hurt or he's tired or ill. He's usually not rough these days although I remember the phase (and with P too). I think we just ignored an stopped the feed if he was getting rough. It didn't last long.
PerpetualMadness

Postby meerkatsmum » 16 Sep 2012, 23:29

Kellymom has an article on "nursing manners" of bfing toddlers. We're not quite at that stage as M is only 1 so I have no first hand advice. She points at my boobs and tries to pull my top down when she wants milk which I actually find quite helpful!
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby ches » 17 Sep 2012, 00:43

I am very big on nursing manners. J asked with a word from about 11 months and T either signs or waits until he's offered with a sign or with "would you like some milk?" What's amazing is that even in the middle of the night when he's squawking, the phrase will make him quite while he waits for milk. T is a pincher and a biter when his teeth hurt, but as long as he's medicated for the teeth (which feels like permanently :( ), he's fine while nursing. I would not tolerate being hit, bitten, pinched or pulled on. If T starts playing with my nipple then it goes away. J OTOH was a total milk fiend. It was all he wanted and he wanted as much of it as he could get as a toddler. He didn't eat every day until he was nearly 2. I had learned by then not to try and fight his lack of appetite for food. He was an efficient nurser, so I just went with it.
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby LemonJuice » 17 Sep 2012, 11:21

What do you two mean by 'go with milk'?

Mrs Dim!

:?
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Postby welovepresents » 17 Sep 2012, 11:47

My Dd is 21 mo and bf morning and evening . She is v picky about which side we start with like your experience morlyte !" Sometimes mega annoying when she wants to put her hand in my mouth while bf but I just take her hand away and say no remember that hurts , and it helps if she then has a toy to cuddle. Not sure that really helps. But I know that unless she was ill or teething I would not want to feed during the day, it starts tipping bf then into a relationship that doesn't work for me , and I'm left feeling tired and not available for her in ways I want to be so if ever she asks ( rare ) I'm kind but clear that its not mummy milk time and try to do something else.
Mother to squeezy little girl born Dec 2010 and now little DS born May 2013
welovepresents

Postby ches » 17 Sep 2012, 11:52

By go with milk I understand she just let him have milk in preference to food because he's asking. :)
BLPT Guidelines thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4477&p=48324
ches

Postby BeanSalad » 17 Sep 2012, 13:05

Squirrel turned two this month, and I still feed her morning and evening (and occasionally at night if she's teething or unwell). She is very sure of what she wants - which one, how much etc, and during the evening feed can be "aggressive" in the way others describe - pinching, hitting, kicking - it seems linked to her zoning out before bed. I basically have a no aggression policy, so since she was about 18 months I've stopped feeding and said if she hits/pinches, no milk. It generally works because she wants the milk so much! Since being about 23 months she has outgrown being generally aggressive at any other time - she used to hit and bite but has stopped, and has never bitten while feeding (thank goodness!). So I would say be very firm about the no aggression, but say yes to the milk if you're happy to keep giving it.
Mummy to two lovely girls born September 2010 and January 2014
BeanSalad

Postby Morlyte » 17 Sep 2012, 19:24

LemonJuice wrote:What do you two mean by 'go with milk'?

Mrs Dim!

I just let him have the milk, sometimes he prefers milk over food but still eats enough food and gets enough milk that I just don't worry about it.
Morlyte

Postby PerpetualMadness » 17 Sep 2012, 20:23

Morlyte wrote:
LemonJuice wrote:What do you two mean by 'go with milk'?

Mrs Dim!

I just let him have the milk, sometimes he prefers milk over food but still eats enough food and gets enough milk that I just don't worry about it.

This. If he's choosing boobs over food, it's usuallybecause he's tired or poorly or, more often, his gums hurt. If he would rather have boobs, that's fine by me.
PerpetualMadness

Postby cvious » 18 Sep 2012, 03:03

I know I've had to say many times "if you pull my hair again, you have to stop breastfeeding", or for kicking, smacking etc. And I do make her stop by unlatching her with my finger and standing her back on the ground. She's 26 months now and rarely rough with me anymore. Either the discipline worked or she grew out of it. Five times a day is our norm.

I'm so glad I'm still nursing. She has some kind of sore throat and fever that keeps coming back, and she can't eat anything else. The doctor said she was amazingly well considering what her throat looked like, no dehydration and still gaining weight.
Mama to Strawberry, sprouted July 2010, and Baby Bird, June 2013
cvious

Postby cvious » 18 Sep 2012, 03:03

I know I've had to say many times "if you pull my hair again, you have to stop breastfeeding", or for kicking, smacking etc. And I do make her stop by unlatching her with my finger and standing her back on the ground. She's 26 months now and rarely rough with me anymore. Either the discipline worked or she grew out of it. Five times a day is our norm.

I'm so glad I'm still nursing. She has some kind of sore throat and fever that keeps coming back, and she can't eat anything else. The doctor said she was amazingly well considering what her throat looked like, no dehydration and still gaining weight.
Mama to Strawberry, sprouted July 2010, and Baby Bird, June 2013
cvious

Postby meerkatsmum » 18 Sep 2012, 11:11

I forgot about the hand in my mouth. M does this sometimes and it drives me bonkers!

I've had some luck with I unlatching M when she digs her hand down my top to grab my other boob (I think she's looking for the nursing pad!) She gets really annoyed but generally gets the idea.
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Return to Toddler Led Eating