anyone been successful at skipping sippy cups?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Re: anyone been successful at skipping sippy cups?

Postby Eleanor » 14 Sep 2012, 12:52

For what it's worth... DS, aged 2, sees his older sister drinking nicely from an open cup every day. Somehow, this has not taught him that the ideal behaviour is to drink nicely from an open cup when you are thirsty :wink: In his eyes the ideal behaviour is still to seize the open cup and distribute its contents as widely and hilariously as possible over all available surfaces. If he didn't use spouty beakers himself we would be in a permanent state of swamp.
Eleanor

Postby AB&M » 14 Sep 2012, 18:51

We used a tiny glass for Bruno from early on - shot glass & then got bigger as his mouth got bigger. But you don't get much in one. We don't have hard floors so unlikely it would break & it's heavy enough not to get thrown around. He definitely looked after it better than his sippy cups.

We still used a sippy for out & about.

Another alternative is the doidy cup - we used it for thicker liquids like smoothies.
Spammer executioner & heads together basher

Claire

Bruno 6
Annie aka kitten 1
AB&M

Postby AwayinaChive » 14 Sep 2012, 19:45

Haven't read replies, but with dd2 I only ever gave her open cups. Started out with a tiny shot glass, and recently she uses regular small glasses (actually I think they're the glass Nutella jar things!) When we go out, she has a Camelback Better Bottle for kids. Sippy cups are unnecessary in my experience, with my kid! I only ever put about an inch, at first she would just stick tongue in or her lips, soon got the hang of it though.
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Postby LemonJuice » 16 Sep 2012, 18:13

Neither of my two have ever used a lidded cup. We started with Doidys first. There's a pic of Caterpillar at 7/8 months using one at the table. He actually didn't drink well from them so moved on to our plastic IKEA handleless cups.

We use water bottles alot - for out and about. We taught him to sign drink so he would ask from early on when he wanted one - I'd keep cups lying around all over the place to grab when he wanted to drink. We don't have juice/squash so it's only water even if there's a spill. I am just careful never to put too much in!

Why not give it a try and see what works for you!

LJ
Mummy to Little Em (09/07) and Caterpillar (01/11) Bf-ing, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, baby signing, BLWing and BLPTing.
LemonJuice

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 17 Sep 2012, 17:52

Similar to LJ, we've never used sippy cups, Wriggles doesn't know how to! He got good at drinking from open cup pretty early but has never stopped being fascinated with tipping it up purposefully! He only tends to do this at the table not in the living room etc though. We also only have water usually, or sometimes milk which I keep a closer eye on. and I always have a cup on the side where he can reach with just an inch or so of water in there.

I even give him open cups in the car and just tell him to be careful and take it back once he's finished drinking - although this has only been in the past few months.
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Previous

Return to Toddler Led Eating