Siblings

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Siblings

Postby Laura Tyewa » 11 Sep 2012, 12:52

A friend asked me this question:
One difficult situation I can imagine is that when you have a 2-3 year-old who is also at the table and has found out that playing with food or behaving badly can be fun. ... The baby will pick up on this and have great fun copying.

Has anyone found this, or is baby usually too absorbed in his own little palm-grasping world?
Mum to L, born Feb 2012.
Laura Tyewa

Re: Siblings

Postby sparkling » 11 Sep 2012, 13:06

My baby is definitely absorbed in what she is doing, although she does love watching her sister. But my 3 year old doesn't tend to mess around unless she's had enough. I'm more bothered about the 3 year old seeing the baby experimenting with dropping food over the side and mushimg it up and wanting to join in!
sparkling

Postby Mummyto1 » 11 Sep 2012, 13:53

My two do copy each other quite a bit but I don't see it as a particular problem with BLW - the older one will see the younger one put her hand in her cup of water and encourage her to do it again (knowing I dont want her to) for example, and they will sometimes start making silly noises at each other etc. I just let them get in with it whilst making clear there are some things we don't do at the table (or I will tell them they are making my head sore as they are being too loud!) I think it is all a healthy part of growing up and learning. They also copy each other in good ways - often the older one will try something previously rejected if the smaller one is getting stuck in, and likewise the smaller one tends to want what the older one is having etc - it can be a great benefit.
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby PerpetualMadness » 11 Sep 2012, 15:37

Not a problem we've had. Not saying the older one never copied the baby or vice versa but certainly not often enough to be remarkable let alone a problem.
PerpetualMadness

Postby cloudcuckoo » 11 Sep 2012, 15:47

Does your friend have a 2 or 3 year old? There are far worse behaviour traits. And you're still gonna end up with siblings at the table eating the same food at some point, BLW just brings that forward a few months. I think she may be overanalysing... :)
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby Laura Tyewa » 12 Sep 2012, 09:11

Thanks, guys. I think* she's got grown up children and hasn't come across blw before, and she was just musing.

Laura

*yes, this is an internet friend, not a RL friend. ;)
Mum to L, born Feb 2012.
Laura Tyewa

Return to Toddler Led Eating