Toddler wants to be spoonfed now

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Toddler wants to be spoonfed now

Postby happydutchgirl » 10 Sep 2012, 12:32

Hi

Just after some advice/guidance from you. My daughter is now 2 and a half and we have always done BLW.

However recently she has started wanting me or her dad to spoon feed her for all meals. She's perfectly cabable of using cutlery and feeding herself but she likes to pretend she's a baby and have us go 'here comes the aeroplane.....' (I think she picked it up from a peppa pig episode).

But its now got to the stage where she won't feed herself for most of the meal. Should I just continue playing the game or should we stop and let her only feed herself? I feel that she won't eat enough (about 3 mouthfulls) if we let her get on with it, but I am worried about overfeeding her by spoon feeding (although she does let us know when she's really full).

Its just frustrating because when she was a baby she did it independently and now it seems we have regressed. Any advice?

Thanks
happydutchgirl

Re: Toddler wants to be spoonfed now

Postby bellaroo10 » 10 Sep 2012, 12:58

What a relief this isn't just happening in our house, my 22 month dd is the same at the moment.

I must admit we do ignore her demands for help for a little while, explaining mummy or daddy will help once they've eaten our dinner. Normally we get about 5 mins of protests and then she'll feed herself whilst using her hands or making choo choo sounds to herself. The days we do help we just load the spoons and praise her for doing so well.

I do understand the frustration though. I think ours comes from nursery and in-laws and I'm looking at the viewpoint its a phase that will pass.

Good luck in finding a way which works for you and your Lo :)
DD - Nov 2010
No 2 due Oct 2012
bellaroo10

Postby jvnt » 10 Sep 2012, 13:01

:-) it's quite common I think. It's not really about spoon feeding, it's about boundaries and doing new things and the game of it. Myself I'd be inclined to go with it as she'll probably soon move onto the next thing soon enough but if it bothers you you could explain that she needs to feed herself and stop and I doubt she'll go for many meals without feeding herself again.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby StJuniper » 10 Sep 2012, 23:46

http://thehonesttoddler.com/feeding/
I feel like this should help explain everything.
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 13 Sep 2012, 12:23

STJ - LOVE that website!
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby nigirl » 13 Sep 2012, 14:01

My toddler did this when the new baby came along - "I need help mummy" It drove me batty as I'd never done it for her previously. It was just a phase thankfully so I hope it's the same for you happydutchgirl :wink:
Mum to Macarena July '09 and A March '12
Making my own little family down under
nigirl

Return to Toddler Led Eating