Getting my 2 year old to eat meat

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Getting my 2 year old to eat meat

Postby tigger » 08 Sep 2012, 20:47

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for how to get a 24 month old to eat more meat!

My daughter is a BLW toddler who won't eat meat unless it's mince, or hidden (otherwise happy to have meat on her plate, just won't touch it!), or shop bought breadcrumbed chicken (won't touch homemade and I've tried lots of recipes!). She won't even eat sausages!

So I give her mince fairly regularly, including turkey mince, and sometimes shop bought breadcrumbed chicken. And sometimes I manage to get her to eat 'hidden' meat such as finely chopped chicken on a pizza, in a sandwich, or in a quesadilla. Otherwise meat is on her plate everyday and I hope that without any fuss being made one day she'll give it a go! In the meantime, just wondering if anyone has any more ideas?
tigger

Re: Getting my 2 year old to eat meat

Postby PerpetualMadness » 08 Sep 2012, 21:24

Why try and encourage her to eat meat? There are plenty of protein alternatives. We do eatery but only 2/3 times a week at most. B likes meat, P is not fussed at all (not sure he'd care if he never ate it again). It's not a problem. :)
PerpetualMadness

Postby catkin » 08 Sep 2012, 22:17

Our 3 yr old is almost exactly the same, except eats sausages too. We're just rolling with it. He gets a little bit of what we're having on his plate anyway, if he doesn't want to try it that's fine.
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby Fozza » 09 Sep 2012, 06:03

I think as she eats some then don't stress.
Will she eat fish?
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby PolarBearGirl » 09 Sep 2012, 09:47

Are you worried about her protien intake?? if not I wouldn't worry, I think meat is just a bit too much like hard work for kids sometimes... Mine like Tofu as it's easy to eat, I just brown it in slices/chunks in a non-stick pan and add to stirfrys/rice etc with some tasty sauce.
A 03/08 & F 02/11 favorite passer by quotes 'isn't he alert' and 'they must keep you busy' ;)
PolarBearGirl

Postby tigger » 09 Sep 2012, 15:07

Hi thanks for your replies everyone. She'll eat fish but only as fishfingers which she has once a week.

Thanks for the reminders that it's actually normal and she can get the nutrients from elsewhere. Makes me more relaxed about it. She actually loves pulses, and so do I but my husband doesn't so I don't cook with them very much but I think I'll start using using them more. If she has to have meat on her plate he can sometimes have pulses on his!! Or lentil soup - he won't even know they're there!

I'll give tofu a try too. Do you just get that stuff that comes in a block and drain off the liquid?
tigger

Postby twilightfan » 09 Sep 2012, 15:11

My boy hardly ate much meat at all until a few months ago. I've noticed that he prefers meat that is moist and not too chewy. Just keep offering & one day she will surprise you but as others say, its not a big deal really.
DS born 2010 and BLW since July 2010
twilightfan

Postby AwayinaChive » 09 Sep 2012, 17:17

My dd2 will only eat meat as deli slices. Well, she likes farm sausages too, but try it sliced from a deli counter, mine only like it super thin. P I C K Y!!!
DD1- 7/2007, DD2- 2/2010, DS- 7/2006- in heaven

Wooden stuff I make and sell www.pebblegrove.etsy.com
AwayinaChive

Return to Toddler Led Eating