Argh! I thought BLW would mean a child that would eat!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Argh! I thought BLW would mean a child that would eat!

Postby jimalimb » 08 Sep 2012, 18:59

So I started BLW with gusto with my little girl. It suited me because 1. I'm fairly *cough* lazy and couldn't be doing with all that mushing and whizzing but mainly 2. I was a fussy child and from what I read it was pretty good at creating children that ate food. (I now eat pretty well, except for mushrooms and shellfood).
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked! She is now 2 and 3/4 and her favourite phrase is yuck that's disgusting! She mostly eats the same staple diet and refuses to try anything new.
I'm now BLW my 6 month old boy and making a real effort to cook meals from Scratch, including lots of stuff we wouldn't normally eat as I suspect a lot of ths is down to me and my limited diet.
I keep offering her this stuff but to no avail.
Does anyone else find themselves with a fusspot? How do I tackle this?
Is it a phase?
Any thoughts would be great!
jimalimb

Re: Argh! I thought BLW would mean a child that would eat!

Postby LucyL » 08 Sep 2012, 19:33

I think you'll find yourself right at home with MANY mums of fussy kids here! For supper tonight, my 10 month-old ate: 4 potato wedges, 3 big chunks of beef, about a quarter cup of peas, and a baby tomato. My 3 year-old? Well, he sucked the seeds out of his tomato.

Our "rule" is that he is under no obligation to eat anything at mealtimes, but if he wants something different, he has to at least have a taste of everything on his plate, and, after rather too many half-eaten sandwiches, if he asks for something specific to eat, he must finish it before getting something else. Other than that, I try to bite my tongue and hope the fussiness will eventually pass. He has been getting rather better lately about trying foods he wouldn't usually eat, so hoping this is the light at the end of the tunnel!
Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Postby jimalimb » 08 Sep 2012, 20:43

It's frustrating! I assume a lot of it is age related. Last month it was all about the tomato soup. This month it makes her sick! I guess a lot of it will be behaviour picked up from older kids at nursery too! I have noticed her eating patterns vary week by week. Some weeks she eats like a bird, others like a horse. We are being much better at eating together at the table. On weekends I've started formal breakfast time around the table which has been a success.
We finish meals with fruit (the grandparents dread this!) and I don't force her to finish as I'm sure a lot of my food issues were related to that.
Im glad it's not just me :wink:
jimalimb

Postby scoobie » 09 Sep 2012, 21:07

I'm just coming out the other side of a 2.5 year (!) long phase of M only eating certain foods and refusing to even try things, saying he doesn't like them. We've tried being laid back, cajoling, bribing, etc. to no avail. Only within the last month has he become susceptible to bargaining, if he doesn't want something that I've served, he has to try a bite and then he can have whatever it is he wants to eat. Now this isn't candy or cookies, it's his usual staples like yogurt or fruitso at least that's a win. Sometimes we don't bother making him try but most of the time we want him to, just to taste something different. He's 3.5 and is starting to understand better why we eat what we do. One thing that he thinks is hilarious and we have fun with is the reverse psychology trick. We do it in a fun way and it usually works: "Don't you dare even look at that food because I'm just keeping it on your plate so I can eat it in a minute" He gets to laughing and will try it most of the time. He usually makes a horrible face but then will tell us he likes it before refusing to try another bite. Oh well, I'm just trying to expose him. I think it's still a texture thing at this point.

The point of my rambling is that it is a phase, and it will pass. Just for some children it takes For. Ever.

Hang in there.
Heather
Homebirthing, BFing, sleep-sharing, babywearing, and cloth diapering/ECing mommy to Max (2/13/09)
scoobie

Return to Toddler Led Eating