Toddler-Specific Food Silliness

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Re: Toddler-Specific Food Silliness

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 02 Sep 2012, 21:32

Isn't pink pasta just pasta coloured with some beetroot, no different from spinach, tomato or squid ink pasta, just a different veg? I've even had cocoa pasta, OK but not something I'd go out of my way to have again.

But as a general principle, yes, so much of the food that is offered to kids is rubbish. Trouble with those boxes is that they do vary a lot, we were at a place recently that had nice and good proper food in the kids boxes and they were good value but some of them are terrible and full of junk.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby cloudcuckoo » 02 Sep 2012, 22:03

SkytownJane wrote:
Thing is, there are times when there's no avoiding the pink pasta or whatever, and you are stuck with that or an adult meal three times the cost.

I was thinking about this and I might be wrong because I don't have a toddler, but can't you just give them some of what you order? Restaurant portions here are much bigger than what we serve in our home, so I feel like I could just keep picking out an appropriate portion of what I'm having for Paul. Leaves me room for dessert, because DH never wants to split with me :)

To a point, of course. But my kids are very keen on independence. There's a point after sharing a jacket potato (which I do with the 2y.o. As needed) where kid sized portions are needed. And very few places do them.

And the boxes - yes, I mean the ones you get at leisure centre and department store cafés which Put a 'fun' box around a cheese sandwich, a bag of crisps and some chlorinated bag of grapes. I agree that they vary, our leisure centres' verge on criminal, Waitrose' are fab. But why oh why are kids treated as animals who do not merit a plate?
Two girls, Bug (2010) and Bobs (2007) in the cloud-nest, and a boy, Boo, too (February 2014)
cloudcuckoo

Postby roseyposey » 03 Sep 2012, 18:44

I recently went to a friends childs 1st birthday party, she is (I thought) quite forward thinking and sensible, well rounded and informed about eating well. There were 30 children there :o and she had done these lunch boxy things too and when we sat down I thought ah good on you, good idea - until I opened them..

She had done white bread JAM sandwiches, mini cheddars, a penguin, a bag of smarties, some plasticy cocktail sausages and a fairy cake. :scream :scream And this is for 1-2 year olds.. I was horrified as I was reluctant to give my children any of that!

I realise it was a bday party and a bit of junk is expected but get a grip woman.. these lunch boxes are bad news in my opinion!
And pink pasta - WHAT!?

I think a lot of people think junk food = happy child.
DS - 28/11/09 and DD - 11/07/11
roseyposey

Postby StJuniper » 03 Sep 2012, 21:02

Yeah, my family is always asking if Paul can taste this or that junk food and I'm always like, he's a baby! If you let him try your lettuce he'll be impressed!
Mama to two boys, the Scout Kid P, 02/26/12 and the Feral Kid R 12/15/13, and one little Tumbleweed girl, 05/27/16.
StJuniper

Postby kron » 04 Sep 2012, 00:44

SkytownJane wrote:

Yeah, my family is always asking if Paul can taste this or that junk food and I'm always like, he's a baby! If you let him try your lettuce he'll be impressed!

Ha!

Lettuce is one of my lo's favorite foods.
mom to bz born jan 31st, 2012
kron

Postby eterna » 04 Sep 2012, 04:04

I think I know the restaurant you mean SkytownJane...and the pasta is terrible! Whether or not it's beetroot pink or not, it doesn't matter, it is covered with a HORRENDOUS amount of extremely salty cheesy white "alfredo" sauce. I checked the nutrional information online the first time we went there with DD a few years back and it has 600mg of sodium in it!!!! Granted, a 1 year old might not finish the whole plate, but by 2 my DD could have definitely eaten the whole bowl if I had ever let her order it. Her cousin always gets that when we go there and I just cringe. DD just shares our chicken wings (granted they are probably just as bad but somehow it doesn't seem as wrong). Last time we were there with family, her 3 year old cousin polished off the nasty pink bug shaped noodles and DD ate all the steamed veggies that had come with it. (ok so at least SIL ordered the veggie side instead of the fries :) )

I too hate the bland kids menus and try my best to have DD eat something more tasty but the problem is they always set the table with the kids menu that doubles as a colouring sheet so she sees the pictures of the chicken fingers or whatever right away and the adult menus normally don't have photos so it's hard to convince her to have something from it.

I think the kids' menu thing is a brilliant move on the restaurants part though - even if it is a terrible statement about the state of nutrition in our society...because it works and sadly that's what kids want. Last week we had gone with some friends to the fringe festival and their three year old only wanted a hotdog from a greasy street vendor and the mom assumed that's all DD would eat too, but she doesn't like hotdogs (normally just eats a bun with pickles at a BBQ...) so instead we went to an indian street vendor and shared butter chicken and rice....the other mom was very astonished that she would have something so spicy (it's not really that spicy though). I felt a bit smug but then realized that the butter chicken was probably just as salty as the hotdog.
That same weekend I made homemade macaroni for lunch (and happened to have whole wheat bug shaped noodles :) ) and when the other mom (same mom as the other story) found out I was making it from scratch sort of panicked... "oh my daughter wont' eat that since it's not kraft dinner!" So when I brought it to the table I just called it "special noodles" and the 3 year old and my DD both ate a whole bunch of it...
Mom to A - Sep. 2009 & O - May 2013
eterna

Postby Eleanor » 04 Sep 2012, 08:48

LucyL wrote:We actually did have pink pasta one day this week! I had boiled up some beetroot and then was going to make pasta for lunch so thought it might be fun - strained the water to get little beetroot skin bits out and then did the pasta. Was excellent fun, and very pink, and I figure we surely got a few of the beetroot vitamins? :D

That's so cool :D I hardly ever cook beetroot but will try to remember that next time!

I occasionally get DD (aged 6) Hello Kitty pasta for a treat. She would be amazed if I managed to dye it pink too. Go on, beat me with internet sticks :wink:
Eleanor

Previous

Return to Toddler Led Eating