Get a toddler to eat faster

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Get a toddler to eat faster

Postby julian » 22 Aug 2012, 08:11

Hi,

Our DS eats fine in general, but he loves to play, sing songs, and so on. It's nice that he has fun at table, but it's beginning to take too long (one hour for some toast at breakfast...).

Any tips for how to get him to speed up a bit? He'll chomp down something quite quickly at the beginning, but it seems that once his initial hunger pangs are over, it's much more interesting to sing ring o rosies, talk about his bellybutton, etc.

It's not that he's full - if I load his spoon, and bring it to him he'll eat (i won't spoonfeed, but tell him to 'Hold it with your hand'). But he's just having too much fun doing other things/too lazy...

Thanks,
Julian
Cherub & DragonBoy
Born April 10, February 12
Happy to have chosen BLW
julian

Re: Get a toddler to eat faster

Postby robyn » 22 Aug 2012, 10:19

I don't think there's a lot you can do really!
My 5 year old still takes forever, we just let her get on with it, she gets up at 6 most mornings, but also is often still finishing her breakfast on her way to school at 8.45!
Mum to Martha - 17/08/07 Greta - 04/02/11 and Ida - 18/10/13.
http://robynwilsonowen.com
robyn

Postby Woodsies » 22 Aug 2012, 13:20

My son still faffs about at the table and he's almost 4. I just don't think food holds much interest for him - he eats until his immediate feelings of hunger have gone and then he gets totally and utterly bored. I don't think you can get them to eat faster and in fact I don't think it's particularly healthy for them to do so - when I was a child if we hadn't finished our meals by the time our Dad (a phenomenally fast eater and a child of the post-war austerity years) had, it would be cleared with no second thought. So my brother and I scoffed our food and both have issues with eating when not hungry because we had it drummed into us that we had to finish every morsel on our plates.

Just a thought. If he's bored and had enough - let him get down. Don't force it.
Mummy to Hannah (November 2005) and Tom (October 2008)
Woodsies

Postby FestiveTidings » 22 Aug 2012, 14:24

You could try bringing his attention back to his plate regularly or making a game of it? Who finishes their toast first gets to sing the next song, that kind of thing. Or even apply rules. No songs until you've eaten x y z, then you can sing as much as you like.

That said I do think they should be discouraged from bolting their food so I would give him a decent amount of time to finish his food. Some kids like to savour! Used to take me hours to eat.
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby julian » 22 Aug 2012, 15:39

Thanks for the replies,

yes I agree that there's no way to force it down, and bolting food is no solution either.

The thing is, it not always that he's had enough, as he will still eat quite a bit more if I keep encouraging it (i.e. loading the spoon, bringing the food to his mouth, etc)

But I suppose as sweetcheeks says, it's about getting him to concentrate a bit more and making it more interesting.

I read somewhere else someone would make a counting game out of it too.

Cheers,
Julian
Cherub & DragonBoy
Born April 10, February 12
Happy to have chosen BLW
julian

Postby Woodsies » 22 Aug 2012, 15:59

My son is the same - he would clear the plate if I fed him, but he's too old for that and avoiding feeding him was the reason I looked into BLW in the first place. I know he's a bit older than your son so I am probably a bit more blase about it now, believe me I have had many many occasions where I have wailed on here about his lack of eating, but I honestly think if he's hungry he will feed himself.
Mummy to Hannah (November 2005) and Tom (October 2008)
Woodsies

Return to Toddler Led Eating