How long can she starve herself for?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Re: How long can she starve herself for?

Postby Jem » 15 Aug 2012, 20:26

I wouldn't worry about nursery. Isabel even eats cabbage at nursery. CABBAGE. I think it's a peer pressure thing.
Resident geek. Mum to Isabel; Nov '09, & Oliver; May '12.
Jem

Postby Aitch » 15 Aug 2012, 20:32

CABBAGE! <faints>
Aitch
Site Admin

Postby hiann » 15 Aug 2012, 22:49

DD is exactly the same here. Has got worse in last few months and will only eat pasta with pesto or smoked haddock fishcakes at dinnertime. Or fruit.

She is petite for her age and doesnt really eat brekkie but will eat a load of toast or pancake midmorning and a variety of things at lunch.

I think she is just a child who eats cos she has to rather than cos she enjoys it which is prob a good thing. Wish I were like that too!
DS 18th Dec 2006
DD 30th Jan 2010
hiann

Postby Woodsies » 16 Aug 2012, 09:12

I am another one with a child who will eat foods at nursery that cause near hysteria if I put them on his plate at home. I have even asked for the recipes from the cook, but he tells me it's not the same.
Mummy to Hannah (November 2005) and Tom (October 2008)
Woodsies

Postby Flossie » 17 Aug 2012, 10:10

Deffo don't worry about nursery. Dd is getting on for 3.5 yrs. Picky as hell at home but eats like a horse at nursery. I'm tempted to pay £3 everyday for her to attend her new nursery lunch club because she'll eat a better variety!

I cook what she likes at home during the week(we don't eat as a family because DH arrives back at 6.45pm) and her diet sounds pretty much like your LO's. At the weekend she gets less of what she likes because we eat together. She is starting to get more adventurous and has starting trying things more recently.

When I start to wean Ds in a couple of months, I'll cook them the same thing so she won't have it all her own way then because I want Ds to try everything! Am hoping his enthusiasm for food will rub off on her....fingers crossed.

On a different note....embarrassingly, dd is still stubbornly refusing to do poos on the toilet. She's been dry since she turned 2 during the day. I've had to speak to nursery about allowing her to poo in a nappy if necessary (she often goes early morn or eve) and they have reassured me that they will put on a nappy if she asks and change her. So probably you'll be ok on that front too!

Dd has really taken having to share us very badly and I think digging her heals in over lots if things ensures she still gets attention. All very annoying....but she is still so little. Hopefully she'll be eating vegetables and not pooing in a nappy when she's a teenager!
Flossie

Postby ceeLIN » 17 Aug 2012, 11:01

Jem wrote:I wouldn't worry about nursery. Isabel even eats cabbage at nursery. CABBAGE. I think it's a peer pressure thing.

DD also eats cabbage at nursery - she told me the other day that it was yummy! I struggled to keep my 'mummy' face on (mild animation and interest) when all i want to do was barf!
DD1 aka Baby Cee July 2009
DD2 March 2013
ceeLIN

Postby TeakettleSlim » 21 Aug 2012, 23:26

We have a board book called "Tigger's Breakfast"-- a simplified version of one of the Pooh stories, where Tigger says he'll eat anything and then progressively decides he doesn't like the various things offered until at last, he settles on Extract of Malt as being what Tiggers like. Anyway, every time I read it to the Biscuit, I emphasize how "he tried it!" even if he doesn't like it, and how brave he is to try everything like that. Then at meals, I encourage her to take just a taste of new foods. She doesn't have to do more than touch her tongue to it, and if she puts it in her mouth, she can spit it out if she wants. If she does taste it, she gets a big celebratory "She tried it!" Sometimes it works, and sometimes she can't be coaxed into it, but hey.

Another trick I've heard but have not really had to implement myself is to have a backup supper-- something they like but that's not too gratifying or exciting, like cottage cheese or (plain) yogurt. Something you don't have to put much, if any, effort into preparing. Something you know she'll eat but isn't crazy about. Then if she doesn't want anything else you're having for dinner, you say, "Well, you can always have cottage cheese (or whatever)". The trick is to not change up the contents of the backup supper-- it's always the same. That way they don't go hungry, but there's a little motivation to try something new and less boring.
TeakettleSlim

Previous

Return to Toddler Led Eating