Is it normal to become super fussy after 12 months?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Is it normal to become super fussy after 12 months?

Postby Beaver80 » 26 Jul 2012, 11:53

Hi guys

BLW was going swimmingly and my son would try anything and even seemed to like very strong flavours like olives. But since he turned one he's become super super fussy and won't try anything new, and is now even rejecting things that he ate happily before. I'm especially worried as he won't eat any fruit apart from bananas and raisins (even when tempted with the sweetest most luscious strawberries and other in-season fruit) and will only eat mashed potato or vegetables when they are 'hidden' in things like shepherds pie or pasta sauce. I am continuing to offer him fruit and veg and new foods as I know I should stick at it, but I am really beginning to lose faith. If anyone has similar experiences to share I'd love to hear them (espcially if they have a positive outcome!!).

Thanks so much xx
Beaver80

Re: Is it normal to become super fussy after 12 months?

Postby Where'stheMistletoe » 26 Jul 2012, 11:56

Yes definitely. I heard about a theory that, going back to caveman times, when babies get mobile their tastebuds develop to protect them from all the poisonous berries out there. In our times it means they get super fussy!

Wriggles used to try and eat anything. HE still eats quite a lot but usually has to be fruit, bread or pasta and he's been like this for months it seems. Interestingly he eats a lot more variety at nursery, maybe because he doesn't have access to breastmilk there.
Mummy to gorgeous wriggly baby boy (Jan 11) and beautiful baby girl (Oct 13)
Where'stheMistletoe

Postby ToothFairy » 26 Jul 2012, 12:33

Yes, definitely!
Mummy to M - September 1998, D - October 2007, and E - May 2010. All BF, cloth nappies, and carried in the same sling, not sure BLW existed in the 90s though!
ToothFairy

Postby wacky12 » 26 Jul 2012, 13:43

oh yes, mine would happily eat anyhing at all and is now fairly picky. at nursery it's peer pressure, WM.
wacky12

Postby babydsmummy » 26 Jul 2012, 14:35

It's definitely true of the ones who get going well early on - D was the same. J is thankfully still increasing his repertoire at 13 months - he was a slow starter.
Mummy to two amazing boys: D (Oct 08) and J (June 11)
babydsmummy

Return to Toddler Led Eating