Won't eat any meat!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Won't eat any meat!

Postby easytoddlerfood » 20 Jul 2012, 06:42

Hi All,

My little boy is 2 and a half. He eats pretty well most of the time, and is happy to try most things. He especially likes fruit and vegetables.

However, I try very hard to get him to eat meat and he just bypasses it. I have managed to get him to eat sausages & fish fingers (but even this is only 1 or 2 bites)
He will also eat meat when it's mixed in a sauce, like a pasta sauce - but i think only because he can't easily identify it.
He won't eat ham or even chicken nuggets.

Im not against vegetarianism - but I think he's a bit too young to understand the concept.

I just wondered is this a phase or has anyone else had the same scenario? And what did you do?
easytoddlerfood

Re: Won't eat any meat!

Postby Riotproof » 20 Jul 2012, 06:54

I wouldn't worry, just keep offering and see how it goes. They all seem to have little fazes where they really need a certain type of food.. and don't want others. The only things DS has consistently loved from the beginning is fruit and rice crackers and spaghetti bolognese, everything has different times of being in favour or not. As it is, he is happiest when I present him with a plate of many separate things. He is not a fan of combined food unless, it has noodles or rice involved. Shepherd's pie is totally wasted on him.
Cherub - Feb 2010.
Little miss - Jan 2015
Riotproof

Postby Woodsies » 20 Jul 2012, 08:15

I think it's because eating meat can sometimes involve more effort, and they can't be bothered.

All you can do is keep offering I guess. My son definitely prefers brown meat from things like chicken as it's much softer. He calls is "slippy meat".
Mummy to Hannah (November 2005) and Tom (October 2008)
Woodsies

Postby BacktoSaz » 20 Jul 2012, 11:24

For a long time L would only eat chicken mince - I think partly because of the effort issue. We bought an old-fashioned manual mincer which is great because we can mince much better quality meat- most mince just has all the rubbish thrown in (at least it does here) and lots of salt. Now they'll both eat chopped chicken, but neither of them will tackle a piece of meat, but we don't eat much anyway because DH is vegetarian.
Mum to L - Nov 07 and J - Aug 09
BacktoSaz

Postby twilightfan » 20 Jul 2012, 12:34

My boy didn't eat meat for aages either, even now, it's a bit hit and miss. However, I've noticed the easier it is to eat the better. So in our case, forget steak - too tough. But, moist, just-out-of-the-oven chicken (especially leg) goes down well and yesterday he had belly of pork for lunch & he has never eaten chops before but again this really fresh, just out of the oven and stringy and moist and well anyway it was just easier to eat for him without having to chew forever.

So, yeah keep offering but try different types of meat too.
DS born 2010 and BLW since July 2010
twilightfan

Return to Toddler Led Eating