Aaaarrrrrgh......!!!

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Aaaarrrrrgh......!!!

Postby elaruu » 12 Jul 2012, 04:17

......save me from this booby monster!!! J was basically down to 1-2 bfs a day (and several during the night), but for the past 2 weeks he's wanting it ALL.THE.TIME!!! Driving me crazy! Seem to remember A going through something similar but not so extreme as he was already much more of a boob monster than J has ever been.

I know it's normal/teething or whatever. Just wanted to :scream (silently) for a minute. Thanks.

That is all.
Mummy to two lovely Scottish-born boys - A 27/1/09 and J 9/3/11.
And an Aussie version - M 16/12/13 :).
elaruu

Re: Aaaarrrrrgh......!!!

Postby BigFlower » 12 Jul 2012, 06:55

((((elaruu))))

Hope he settles down again soon.
DD - Feb 2010
BigFlower

Postby Tintin » 12 Jul 2012, 07:14

{{{elaruu}}} I'm there with (pinned to the sofa as I type!) :(

Squeak is absolutely fine without me - survived from 2pm Fri - 7pm Sun last weekend, no problems. But if I'm in the room... she will not settle. DP has suggested - and I'm starting to consider - just stopping BF completely as this is driving me insane, and making family time really difficult.

Hope J settles down again soon.
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby elenab » 21 Jul 2012, 22:38

i am having a similar feeling with my 13 month old. it is almost whenever she see my front, she reaches in. it is exosting and all you need is a "knowing" look from someone outside to go balistic. hope they settle, i was thinking that is that is the case it will be difficult to sustain it much longer. would be grateful for any reasurance, that it goes away
elenab

Postby Mummyto1 » 22 Jul 2012, 06:14

M did this a few months ago. After a few weeks I made a conscious decision to distract in the day (so limited feeds to first thing, last thing and pre-nap) and it mostly worked. She doesn't ask nearly as much in the day now.
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby sully » 22 Jul 2012, 18:50

i feel your frustration-exactly the same here at the moment. So no advice im afraid, but my sympathy!
Pumpkin, b April 2011
Sweetpea, b July 2013
sully

Postby FestiveTidings » 22 Jul 2012, 19:00

I'm right there too. Problem is roo doesn't just want a feed, we wants to play with them too. He will blow raspberries. Make mwah noises and latch on and off too!

It doesn't matter if it's our usual nursing seat, as soon as my butt hits another surface (seat, floor, grass) he wants the boobies out.

The only way is to distract him, but I can't keep on the move for 12 hours solid like he does!

I'm hoping this is a goodbye phase - like stocking up before going cold turkey? Unlikely I know, but I can hope!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby Tintin » 22 Jul 2012, 19:06

But how to distract???
It's fine if we're out, but we can't be out all day every day. Anytime we're in the house, she just will not be distracted. DP has now suggested explicitly a number of times that I need to stop feeding her. That she's never going to voluntarily cut down or go to morning/night-time only, so I need to "turn off the tap" or she will keep demanding. I really wanted to get to (at least) 2 years with her, but at only 16 months, I'm not sure I can keep doing this - especially now I'm not working so I'm with her 5 days out of 7. :(
DD1 Stompy, home-birthed Feb 08
DD2 Squeak, home-birthed March 11
Tintin

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 22 Jul 2012, 19:26

I have no experience, but didn't someone (badgers mom?) have success with a "no milk" necklace? When she was wearing it there was no milk, she had another necklace (her nursing one?) which meant "milk".

Maybe worth a try?
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Postby Mummyto1 » 22 Jul 2012, 19:38

Our distraction was whatever she was most into (mostly books sometimes tea sets, if she really didn't give in them going outside for a little wander always did it) but I had to be very energetic about it! I did need DH's help at the beginning, so starting on a weekend or holiday might be helpful.

Steeler, you might be surprised. If you limit the feeds to very particular times it might mean you can continue with just one or two a day and there being no question of it being on offer at any other time. At 16 months their comprehension is pretty good if you are firm and consistent (hard though it is).
Now proud Mummyto3 little crazies!
Mummyto1

Postby issi » 22 Jul 2012, 19:41

I found it easiest to limit the length of a feed rather than saying no outright. So I counted to 10 for each side and finished with tickles and cuddles and a bit of rough play to distract but still give physical contact.

Good luck!
DS born March 2009. DS2 born October 2011.
issi

Postby catkin » 22 Jul 2012, 21:43

It's okay to say no sometimes. Just like we don't always give a snack on request. It doesn't break them, or the nursing relationship. I think it's easy to get too tied down to "feeding on demand", but really that's for small babies, with toddlers it's much more of a 2-way relationship. The time has to be right for both of you.

Yes, the busier you can keep the more they will be distracted and not ask. Also keep up regular snacks/drinks to pre-empt any hungriness. When he asked (well, it still applies at 3!) I would say no milk now, you can have some milk after lunch (or other appropriate time), now lets (have a cuddle/get the trains out/etc).
Mum to Mouse b May 2009 & Little Hamster b Feb 2012.
catkin

Postby elenab » 27 Jul 2012, 14:30

she has just turned one and I don't want to end nursing, sometimes distraction might work, but mostly she remembers in 10 sec. i guess with her growing up she'll be more able to understand those kind of "negotiations". i do think breastfeeding is very important to both of, and with so many people opposing bf for toddlers it sometimes is very difficult even to say you are a bit overwhelmed, so i am glad i can do this here, thanks
elenab

Return to Toddler Led Eating