Enough milk??

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Enough milk??

Postby Efficient_Edna » 10 Jul 2012, 14:45

I'm very proud to still be breastfeeding L at 10 months, when I only managed 8.5 months with A.

However I worry that she's not getting enough fluids, or specifically breastmilk (and all it's lovely nutrients) as she now feeds about 4 times in every 24 hours, but only manages to trigger my very reluctant let-down on 1 or 2 of those feeds. The other times she gets bored too quickly and if it's daytime, would rather go back to playing or at night go back to sleep.

How much is she likely to be getting if I don't feel a let-down? I would guess less than an oz?

She eats very well, 3 meals a day plus snacks, and has in the last couple of weeks started swallowing a lot more of it despite still having no teeth.

I offer her water in a beaker with every meal, which she gulps on with great gusto, but at the end of it when you look at the water line she seems to have only taken a few ml.

When I've had really long shifts at work and missed bedtime, DH has tried to give her formula in her beaker before bedtime, but she was not in the slightest bit interested in that.

She seems very contented and well in every way, although her nappies never feel that full of weewee to me, for example in the mornings. But then I'm comparing to A who until recently used to have a 7oz bottle of milk before bed every night so her nappy would be very heavy in the morning.

I just wondered if anyone has any insight into what's a healthy number of breastfeeds for a 10 month old to have alongside BLW.

Should I just go with the flow or work harder to get her to feed more from me?
Brilliant A born Jan '10.
Bouncing L born Sep '11.
Efficient_Edna

Re: Enough milk??

Postby TPM » 10 Jul 2012, 15:43

I would imagine if she wasn't getting enough she would stay on and hang around for the let down. I think boobs become tremendously efficient and they can get quite a lot in a short time, even if you don't feel a let-down.
DD1 05/08, DD2 01/10 & DD3 04/12
TPM

Postby Nix » 10 Jul 2012, 15:46

After the first few months I didn't feel a let down for any of my feeds.

Because breastmilk is more easily absorbed I suppose breasted babies nappies would be emptier than ff ones? Mine never took to beaker water for ages keep trying.

Jasper was a keen blwer and was down to about 3/4 feeds per day by 10 months. It surprised me because Harvey was still on 8/9 at that stage!
Very proud mummy to three little stars:

Harvey born January 2009
Jasper born October 2010
Pippa born January 2013
Nix

Postby difdif » 10 Jul 2012, 19:43

At 8/9 months DS2 cut down on daytime feeds himself. If there was anything happening around him, he just wouldnt stay on! Did longer morning and night feeds (and nighttime until about 12 months). He was obviously fine and gaining weight ok. I never felt a let down after 5/6 months..
The wee Scotsmen F Sep 08 and C Jan 11
difdif

Return to Toddler Led Eating