Worried about Roo's diet

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Worried about Roo's diet

Postby FestiveTidings » 10 Jul 2012, 11:31

I'm worried about Roo's diet.

I feel he is not eating healthily enough and getting too much salt. I still keep an eye on salt content and try to balance it out during the week, but I feel there are too many days where he might be going over the 2g limit so it's not really balancing out. He seems to adore salty foods - sausages & cheese, pizza and pasta he will eat and eat. Crisps he LOVES so we limit those (or stick to lower salt varieties). Its a fine line between giving him what he wants to eat and balancing out his salt. :-(

He also has gone off fruit and veg. He's gone from eating either fruit/veg with every meal and even more fruit at snacktime to eating hardly anything - he may eat 1 bit of fruit a day and 1 veg a day as long as its an apple, a banana or peas. Occasionally he will eat a tomato.

I used to think he would eat a variety of foods but really he doesn't. He's happy to try new things but quite often he doesn't like them (although i do keep trying).

I'm not entirely convinced he is eating enough to meet his daily needs either.

I usually just go with the flow and let him eat what he wants from each meal and snack but doubts do creep into my mind. Please tell me this is normal and he will come back to eating the foods he used to love?
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Re: Worried about Roo's diet

Postby KateGladTidings » 10 Jul 2012, 11:49

Your Roo sounds like my Roo! He goes through phases of fussy eating or not eating at all, but he normally comes out the other side. He's just come out of a loooong no-eating phase. I think you have to trust him, to a certain extent but it is soooo hard! Not sured what to suggest re salt, as my Roo prob has far too much!
Mother to R, June 2009, and E, May 2012

http://londonwithatoddler.com

Twitter: @LondonWAToddler
KateGladTidings

Postby meerkatsmum » 10 Jul 2012, 12:12

Just throwing an idea out there because really I know nothing about toddlers. Could you go on a bit of a salt detox? Finish up the crisps and stuff that are in the house and then forget to buy them. If he's hungry, he'll eat what you offer eventually. Salt and sugar are addictive. I know that sometimes I just have to have none at all for a while so I can get the cravings out of my system. I know it's easier as an adult though! Good luck, I hope he starts to enjoy the healthy stuff again!
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby jvnt » 10 Jul 2012, 13:04

I think that's a smart idea Mkm, I find it a lot easier to say no to The Boy is we don't have the thing he's asking for anyway. For me I find it important to remember that part of blw is offering a healthy balanced diet for them to chose from and I control that. So yes he may want pizza and sausages (and frankly so do I!) but it's up to me not to let him have it.

As Kate said they do go through phases of just not eating or eating a very limited diet but they do come out the other end if you stick with what you know is a good diet. It's hard when you're in the middle of it though.

FWIW, I can't have crisps in the house as I find them addictive and I've never given them to The Boy, I'd be inclined to cut them out entirely - but I would say that because I have!
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby FestiveTidings » 10 Jul 2012, 15:15

You know ladies, I've been thinking the very same thing. It's just tying to persuade hubby that crisps can't be kept in the house (and no, somewhere roo can't find them isn't acceptable!) to be fair the pizzas are home made using a no salt dough and the sausages are from a really good butcher but still that's not really an excuse. The only times he eats heartily is when its pizza, pasta, sausages or curry (homemade without salt) so i am loathe to cut these out altogether. We have 2 of those a week, the rest of the time it's dinners that he picks at, followed by yoghurt for pudding.

I just need to ride this out and try not to worry!
Mum to Roo born Feb 2011 and Wee One born April 2014 - each one a miracle.
FestiveTidings

Postby jvnt » 10 Jul 2012, 15:35

Well, the other thing I was going to say before but forgot was that if you're worried about it then you probably don't need to IYSWIM. I'd probably do the same as you are doing. A balanced offering intespersed with some healthy versions of thing you know he will eat. It's a phase, it's a phase, it's a phase.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby A_W » 10 Jul 2012, 15:36

Sounds just like A at the moment. I seem to remember H doing the same at this age. I'm probably worse than you as we do love crisps in this house so there's no way I'm stopping those. Just keep offering fruit and veg and healthy meals and they'll return to better eating soon I'm sure.
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby meerkatsmum » 11 Jul 2012, 04:59

In terms of the curry and pizza, if it's homemade, I think that's fine. We have curry twice a week (leftovers the second night) and I make it with no salt and serve with vegies as a side. I'm a bit oo lazy to make pizza so we tend not to eat it. But once a fortnight would be okay IMO. As with the sausages, it's hard to know. Maybe ask the butcher. We all have favourite foods. if those are his favourite dinners, I think you're doing well! Just make sure there's se vegies offered too and then he has the option. I hope he starship varying his diet soon, I'm sure he will!
DD - Meerkat (October 2011)
DD - Wombat (January 2014)
meerkatsmum

Postby TeakettleSlim » 11 Jul 2012, 13:41

It may be a phase, but if you're concerned, there's nothing wrong with trying to steer him away from the foods that are worrying you. I had a similar concern about cheese (which I wrote about at length in that other thread). My attempts at cutting back have so far worked surprisingly well-- I give fruit and/or veg with every snack and meal, and try to not repeat food items over the course of a day or two. That keeps variety going and he won't be too surprised at new foods you're trying to nudge him toward. You may also offer the fruit/veg before the main course, so he'll fill up on the good stuff when hungry and then hopefully eat a little less of the salty stuff.
TeakettleSlim

Return to Toddler Led Eating