Spoon idea

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Spoon idea

Postby Antje » 05 Jul 2012, 06:44

I don't know why I never thought of this before, but my daughter (14 months) has just made some serious progress on using a spoon to scoop up her food due to a little trick I discovered by accident:

Normally for breakfast we have yogurt with rolled oats (so I guess you could call it "muesli") or porridge, with fruit on the side. Last week on a whim I put cut up strawberries in her yogurt. Suddenly, she was very focused on using the spoon all by herself to scoop them up! Turns out that having little "targets" in the bowl is extremely motivating for her. Now we put raisins in her porridge as well. I haven't pre-loaded a single spoon since that first day with the strawberries. And she polishes off the whole bowl so much more quickly than we used to when it was a two-person process!
Antje

Re: Spoon idea

Postby sully » 05 Jul 2012, 22:19

excellent! Im going to try that tomorrow. :-)
Pumpkin, b April 2011
Sweetpea, b July 2013
sully

Re: Spoon idea

Postby Antje » 06 Jul 2012, 16:11

I tried this with blueberries this morning, one of my daughter's FAVOURITE foods, and it totally backfired because she so urgently wanted to get them in her mouth that she couldn't be bothered with the spoon. Ah well, I'll try a medium-favoured food again tomorrow!
Antje

Return to Toddler Led Eating