nutrient/calcium intake for 15 month old

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

nutrient/calcium intake for 15 month old

Postby sully » 02 Jul 2012, 19:17

pumpkin has always and still does prefer bm over food except when im at work, never really been one for any kind of cheese (soft, hard,uncooked, cooked) but has always loved her yogurt. Of late Shes more often than not refusing yogurt too. Im hiding cheese and using milk where i can but we mostly eat pretty plain quick food so i guess my question is, should i worry about her calcium intake and is there anything else we can offer more of to make up for it or should i just assume that if she isnt wanting it she doesnt need it?

I think i sometimes just find it a thin line between trusting her to know what she needs and wondering if im being too blase (sp?!) about her diet now Shes getting bigger.
Pumpkin, b April 2011
Sweetpea, b July 2013
sully

Re: nutrient/calcium intake for 15 month old

Postby messtins » 03 Jul 2012, 09:03

We've been quite concerned about M's calcium because he's on a dairy free diet due to intolerances. The requirement for a 1-3 yr old is 350mg a day. According to kellymom breastfeeding can supply about a third of their calcium requirment in their second year, so that leaves you with 200mg+ to find from their diet. The calcium content of foods is listed here www.nnuh.nhs.uk/docs%5Cleaflets%5C197.pdf and since dairy products contain a lot if she's getting a bit of cheese/yoghurt/milk then you may well be getting enough. I'd write down what she has over a few days and see if you are in the right ball park.

There is a balance between trusting them to get what they need and keeping an eye on it if they are rejecting one particular food group. I think I trust M to get the calories he needs but not necessarily the balance of micronutrients - I see that as my responsibility to as far as I can make sure the diet I supply is balanced.
Hope that helps. Jen x
Messtins, part-time vet, rest-of-the-time Mum to D 10/06 and M 05/10
messtins

Postby sully » 03 Jul 2012, 12:34

thanks. Unfortunately thats what i was thinking. She eats such TINY amounts of food most of the week (i only work 2 days) that i dont see how it would be possible to get that much into her, even with trying!
Pumpkin, b April 2011
Sweetpea, b July 2013
sully

Postby messtins » 03 Jul 2012, 16:09

If you add it up over a few days and she's not getting anywhere near enough, and you can't sneak a bit of extra dairy in there (or bread, or calcium-supplemented OJ, or fish with tiny bones) then maybe you want to consider a calcium supplement. There are two liquid ones suitable for children - Calcium Sandoz and Osteocare liquid calcium.
We only use one because of the no-dairy situation though, I would think in most normal circumstances you can find enough foods that contain it.
Messtins, part-time vet, rest-of-the-time Mum to D 10/06 and M 05/10
messtins

Return to Toddler Led Eating