Are you serving foods chopped?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Are you serving foods chopped?

Postby OnlyAGinger » 01 Jul 2012, 21:25

Lovebug seems to be having some issues of late with chewing - he just got two upper molars, but maybe they haven't popped enough for him to use them. He's biting/chewing with his front teeth. Then, tonight, he had some lighter/thinner angel hair rice noodles, and he gagged a couple of times, then went to eat something else, and didn't realize there was still a noodle on his tongue. I went to pull it out, and it just seemed to keep on coming, like a magician with silk scarves in his mouth. Mental note to chop long pastas from now on. Have also been nervous with him recently when eating crunchier foods like apples.

1. Does/did teething seem to impact chewing skills?
2. Are you offering foods chopped at this point? I haven't been an home, but he gets 3-4 meals/day at daycare, where all is chopped, I believe, so maybe he's out of practice with larger pieces?
OnlyAGinger

Re: Are you serving foods chopped?

Postby A_W » 01 Jul 2012, 21:43

I just give him what we eat and large pieces gets chopped up for him to stab with his fork or scoop with his spoon. So spaghetti and noodles are shorter although he often doesn't eat much of it preferring pasta twists. Maybe the noodles were just too long for him to swallow? He prefers smaller pieces of food now rather than the larger bits he used to eat with his fist at the start of blw.

I do let A eat raw apple now but do watch him carefully as it's a known choking hazard. But he also likes a whole apple to chew on, until he decides to throw it across the room. But tbh, he's pretty good at chewing everything. He's had his molars for a while so maybe that is the difference and only has his second molars to get now. I think teething can make them go off hard food a bit and I've heard lots of lo's just like cold things like yoghurt for a few days.
H - big school girl - April 08
A - my gorgeous boy - Jan 11
A_W

Postby TPM » 01 Jul 2012, 23:41

Dd2 always swallows things like spaghetti or noodles without really chewing and so did dd1 at her age, and for quite some time before it. I've always just left it long and figure they won't learn otherwise. Dd1 now makes a great deal of effort to twiddle her spaghetti/noodles around her fork!
DD1 05/08, DD2 01/10 & DD3 04/12
TPM

Postby Fozza » 02 Jul 2012, 05:10

My three all went thru phases of preferring smaller bits of food. Like biting was uncomfortable and/or they wanted to practice pincer or cutlery skills. We adapted to suit a little but not all foods we might just have more rice than wedges for example. The molars can def affect their preference too.
Mum to
3 boys on earth...my light
Owen and Luna in heaven...My forever babies.
Fozza

Postby wacky12 » 02 Jul 2012, 05:42

if he's only got the molars on top or on bottom it may be uncomfortable to chew teeth and gum together or he's not getting a good enough bite as his teeth are uneven?
wacky12

Postby OnlyAGinger » 02 Jul 2012, 09:28

Thanks, I'm going to keep an eye on it. Has popped two upper molars and a lateral lower incisor since being on holiday, and I see some canines poking (and am yet again feeling some resistance when nursing), so I think his little mouth is a right mess! Will adapt the spaghetti & linguine though, and maybe some other foods so they're smaller pieces. Honestly, do you avoid any crunchy foods? Raw veggies? Chopped nuts or seeds? Etc? Good point re: apple.
OnlyAGinger

Return to Toddler Led Eating