meat crazyness

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

meat crazyness

Postby Reeli » 27 Jun 2012, 18:14

My little guy loves meat. He s actually crazy about it. When there is meat, he always finds it and goes for it first and ignores all the other stuff.
Today, we had some vegetarian pasta with vegetables. He didn't eat and got fuzzy. When I took him out of his chair, he tried to get my food, so I gave him some noodles, but I tried to get to the dish.. I think he was looking for meat and thought he we were hiding it. He started crying really bad. And also refused breastmilk, what he usually loves. Then we offered him a piece of salami - and everything was good. He ate two more slices and was happy afterwards.

Do you have similar experiences? How often do you have meat?
I'm trying to not give him meat every day. At least he loves fish, too. But I'm not sure, if he wants the meat so bad, because his body maybe needs it? I always thought that your appetite is guided by current nutritional needs (most of the time, maybe not when I'm eating all that chocolate ;) )
Mama to little Monkipie EF, born Oct 2011
Reeli

Re: meat crazyness

Postby oriel » 27 Jun 2012, 19:01

Meat: good source of protein, iron, vitamin A, B vitamins, vitamin K2, zinc, choline, healthy fat… I'm not seeing a problem here.
Faith 12.12.2007—29.12.2009.
Zoe 19.07.2013.
oriel

Postby Scozzie » 27 Jun 2012, 19:30

We offer meat pretty much every day, I just try to vary it between red meats, white meats, oily fish, white fish etc.

Sounds like you have a wee carnivore who knows what he likes!
Mum to the Poppet, born October 2011. A person's a person, no matter how small...
Scozzie

Postby Louisianablue2000 » 27 Jun 2012, 20:04

DD2 is like this. If we have pasta with a small amount of parma ham she'll eat all the parma ham in her serving then demand more before she touches everything else. She is three so the rule is no seconds until the first serving is finished but that is a bit strict for a younger child I think and too close to 'you must finish your food'. If meat was a more substantial part of the meal we're less strict about it but she does tend to eat meat first, then the pasta, then vegetables.
See DD1's first few meals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 629434614/
See DD2's weaning video here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisianab ... 826217940/

DD1 Dec 07, DD2 June 09, DS Sept 12
Louisianablue2000

Postby Heidi » 27 Jun 2012, 20:34

Scozzie wrote:We offer meat pretty much every day, I just try to vary it between red meats, white meats, oily fish, white fish etc.

Sounds like you have a wee carnivore who knows what he likes!

Thom was exactly the same for aaaaaages. He literally only ate meat (very little of anything else) until he was well over a year. now he eats a good mixture, but still eats the meat first :D
Thom May 07 and Kiera Sept 09 - I don't really have an excuse to be here still!!

Would you like to start your own business, earn some extra money or enjoy a new challenge? If so please contact me,

http://www.phoenix-trading.co.uk/web/heidiwadsworth
Heidi

Postby CPinho » 27 Jun 2012, 23:01

I think it's just his body asking for protein. My DD goes through stages of only carbs (in all forms and shapes), then only meat and fish... And it can't be the taste or texture, right? - red meat tastes and feels so differently from fish and from chicken, for example. I remember I found it strange when people told me that children will eat what they need; but now, seeing how my daughter eats, I am convinced that they do.
Mum to R, born March 2011, and S & I, born October 2013
CPinho

Return to Toddler Led Eating