Strawberries and "reaction" - wwyd?

Oh, we're done with all that vegetable-steaming and mess, our children are cutlery-wielding, spaghetti-chomping angels... at least some of the time.

Strawberries and "reaction" - wwyd?

Postby UnhappyRightFoot » 26 Jun 2012, 04:06

Munchie loves strawberries and we've even harvested a few from our hanging baskets which has got her really excited.

However, she occasionally comes out in a little red blotchiness, which I have now tied up to being the strawberries. It's not severe, just a few marks and it doesn't happen every time.

I'm just not sure whether to continue feeding them to her or leaving it for a while.

The only other thing she's had a reaction to was eggs, at the beginning. Similar reaction - redness round the face - but much more of it and when I picked her up, her body had red hand prints from my eggy hands! We stopped eggs until she was around 14 months then re-introduced them slowly. She's now fine with them!
Mummy to my two miracle baby girls - The Thunder Fairies. Munchie born May 2010 and Ickle Pickle born July 2012.

The one who struggles, hasn't quit.
UnhappyRightFoot

Re: Strawberries and "reaction" - wwyd?

Postby jvnt » 26 Jun 2012, 04:26

We had the same with raspberries and more recently cinnamon both times I've had him allergy tested (we were there for his other allergies which are more serious and I thought I might as well) both things came back as no allergy so just a skin reaction, apparently it's quite common for them to be off and on. I'd say hold off for a bit and have piriton handy in case it gets worse when you try again.

Btw, the boy also had a reaction to egg which he grew out of.
jvnt, mother to The Boy, August '09, Baby Dragon, January '12 and HP May '14.
jvnt

Postby LucyL » 26 Jun 2012, 18:04

If the red blotches are on her face and don't last too long I would put it down to the acidity of the strawberries. Tiger gets this occasionally after eating strawberries or tomatoes but as it doesn't seem to bother him in any way I haven't worried to avoid them at all.
Mum to two gorgeous boys, Bookworm (May 2009) and Little Tiger (November 2011)
Musings about our homeschooling journey at www.smallstepstoabiggod.org
LucyL

Postby peasmummy » 26 Jun 2012, 18:43

DD used to have this reaction to strawberries but has grown out of it and now eats loads of them. i continued to offer them then suddenly she decided she liked them and there was no reaction!
Pea - Sept 2009
One little angel - January 2012 @10wks
Baby Bug - Oct 2012
peasmummy

Postby Rosie_t_Riveter » 26 Jun 2012, 18:50

We had it here too. Wiping face with aqueous cream kept it under control until he grew out of it.
TheWriggler - Aug 2009
BabyBean - March 2012
Rosie_t_Riveter

Return to Toddler Led Eating